What do TV channels use to broadcast movies?

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

What do TV channels use to broadcast movies?

Postby saratw2 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:34 pm

Do TV channels use DVD's to broadcast movies?

I'm asking because some older foreign films that I have seen in the past are grainy. But then I've noticed that lately some of these movies (Seventh Seal) are broadcast and they look so much better. Are they using the new Criterian DVD's?

Some movies on TCM look so much better now than they did several years ago. Is this due to the newly restored DVD's? Or is it because digital cable tv improves the looks?

I suppose I should know all this but I don't. Do any of you know?
saratw2

Re: What do TV channels use to broadcast movies?

Postby saratw2 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:44 pm

I am sorry I have had no replies for this. Where could I go on the web to find out if TV channels use DVD's to broadcast movies.

For example, what does HBO use? Or TCM?

I have never understood how TV channels broadcast movies.
saratw2

Re: What do TV channels use to broadcast movies?

Postby smurfrevolt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:29 pm

Hello there. I work in a TV station, and when we broadcast movies (usually, these are films offered by the distributor for TV broadcast and we choose the set of movies we want), the source of the movies can come from all sorts of formats. So yes, they can come from DVDs or even beta (for classic local movies). But then, that source has to be dubbed to miniDV, and/or ingested to the server before the actual broadcast. As for what HBO or other channels use, I'm not really sure what they use over there. (although I hope we're not that far behind when it comes to technology...) :D
smurfrevolt

Return to Questions