strong women's foreign film

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

strong women's foreign film

Postby candygirl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:13 pm

I rented a VHS tape of this movie about 15 years ago. The story took place in post WWII Europe and featured a women returning to her home town with her young daughter. The film progressed through time as the daughter grew into an independent and strong woman like her mother. The daughter, a lesbian, wanted her own child so a planned insemination/tryst with a handsome acquaintance was arranged and she became a mother of her own daughter. This child grew into a beautiful girl who was raped by the town's bully, who was in turn dealt a rightful justice. Throughout, the matriarch guided her life and those she loved according to her own strong values and independence.
I sure would like to see this movie again as it was beautifully written, acted, and filmed. Any ideas what it was called?
candygirl

Re: strong women's foreign film

Postby lauraq » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:37 pm

I don't know the name of the film but I have been looking for it for several years now. I think I saw it on HBO about 18 to 20 years ago. It has always been one of my favorites and I would love to find it again too. Hopefully someone can help.
lauraq

Re: strong women's foreign film

Postby lauraq » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Hey Candygirl, I found it! The movie is called Antonia's Line, it was done in 1996 and it won the Academy Award for best foreign film. I have not looked to see if it can be ordered.
lauraq

Return to Questions