New Yorker Video

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

New Yorker Video

Postby dan-2 » Mon May 22, 2000 7:13 pm

Will somebody please tell New Yorker that, no matter how many films in their collection are indispensable to an exacting collector, $75 (the going price for so many of their releases) is simply a ridiculous amount to pay for a videocassette (nevermind DVDs).

Re: New Yorker Video

Postby jman » Sat Jun 24, 2000 1:50 pm

Their videos are priced for the rental market. In short, they are able to sell more videos to rental stores than to consumers. Large studios are able to offer Star Wars or Titanic at tremendous discounts because they can sell millions of copies. Unfortunately, as we all know, the demand for foreign films is just a little better than that of documentaries.

Postby acquarello » Thu Jun 29, 2000 12:41 pm

Actually, New Yorker has recently dropped the price on several staple Fassbinder films like "Ali: Fear Eats the Soul" and "The Merchant of Four Seasons", as well as some of Bresson's films ("Pickpocket", "A Man Escaped", "The Devil Probably", "L'Argent"). I already bought them at the old price, but it will be helpful to those just testing the waters of these great directors. No price drop for Ozu though :(

Postby BEK » Sat Aug 19, 2000 2:01 am

And also, what's the story with the lousy video quality of the Fireworks DVD? It looks like someone ran over the print with a car, then digitized it at low resolution. There's mud, there are artifacts, and there's a fuzzy quality that makes the whole film look like it was shot on video. When will these kids learn? Take a cue from Criterion and get some talented DVD authors who care about how works of art are treated. When Beat Takeshi walks up the stairs in the hospital it looks like someone vomited on my TV.

Postby Tony Block » Sun Sep 17, 2000 8:30 pm

I returned my copy to & am taking the unopened copy to Borders to exchange for some other DVD. The Website talks about the probs w/Fireworks in their review of Newyorker's The Cement Garden. Not one other reviewing web site has even mentioned the problems Newyorker had w/the DVD & how atrocious the transfer is.
Tony Block

Postby nitin jagdish » Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:24 pm

well, at least the godard collection has become
nitin jagdish

Return to Questions