The Academy Awards are a sham

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Re: The Academy Awards are a sham

Postby cinemasmooch » Tue May 01, 2001 2:54 pm

maxdname-1,
Rocky and Charriots of Fire are two of my all-time favorite films. I have no idea why you would want to "piss on" such inspirational stories!?
cinemasmooch

Postby maya » Tue May 01, 2001 6:18 pm

Funkyduck, needless to say it is refreshing to have someone introduce "us" to a different point of view when it comes to art in film other than "visceral needs" which I am guilty of. I am not a film student but a mere film lover but when I watched "Happy Together" I saw something that I have never seen or felt with any other movie. Every scene was breathtaking. See ya.
maya

Postby nana » Wed May 02, 2001 3:46 am

i careless about hollywood less than
jennifer jason leigh cares about winning an oscar.
besides, new york seems tobe the place for film anyway(in us).
oh...if i didn't make it clear enough i hate the the awards more than i hate tom hanks. um...
no. i rather watch the awards than a tom hanks movie.
---nana
by the way...the oscar is the same as the academy award right?
nana

Postby cinemasmooch » Wed May 02, 2001 4:59 pm

Yes nana, the golden Oscar statue is presented to the winners at the Academy Awards ceremony. I think the full title is The Academy of Arts and Motion Pictures.
cinemasmooch

Postby maya » Thu May 03, 2001 4:19 pm

If you people think that the Academy Awards are a sham and a waste of time why do you then spend your "precious time" talking about it? This is beyond me.
maya

Postby Desmond Wolf » Fri May 04, 2001 5:32 am

I agree: the Oscars are a mainstream award and the foreign film audience are certainly not mainstream. So they're applying different criteria from people on this site... Best Picture usually rewards a certain kind of film - always popular, often critically quite well-received, and sometimes the best(American)film of the year. I can understand the complaint being that the winner is held up to be the best film of the year – but doesn’t this sit only with the people who would consider it best, anyway? Anyone who usually doesn’t agree with Oscar decisions might as well ignore them...
Desmond Wolf

Postby genghizkhan66 » Fri Jun 08, 2001 6:12 pm

Hi

I have a really silly question. There are a few English speaking film that I like a great deal.
2 in mind is :

Dances with the wolves
The Piano

My question is that I am not sure if "The Piano" is a hollywood pruduction? I know its a New Zealand movie but did hollywood produced it?
Really appreciate if anyone can clear me on this. Thanks.

Genghiz
genghizkhan66

Postby Desmond Wolf » Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:45 am

The producer was an Australian, Jan Chapman, who I think has produced quite a few of director Jane Campion's films, and when it won the Palm d'Or at Cannes it was officially credited as Australian. But Campion's a New Zealander, even though she came up through the Australian film industry. So it's not a Hollywood movie though the two leads are Americans playing Scots. More like Australasian.
Desmond Wolf

Postby peter.ruggles » Sat Jun 09, 2001 9:48 am

I rather liked Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Lucas/Spielberg have made some of the most enjoyable movies I've seen. Now if the VCR jacket shows some hunk carrying a handgun, with a car exploding in the background and Brian Bosworth or Richard Roundtree anywhere in the cast I'm Outta Here.
peter.ruggles

Postby katsuben » Tue Jun 12, 2001 7:37 am

All of DWs info is accurate. Add to it that Ciby2000 co-financed the film (i believe with the FFC - Film Finance Corporation - in Australia and probably a similar New Zealand financing body). So it is really a France-Australia-New Zealand co-production with the majority of cast being New Zealanders and I'd say the crew is around 50-50 Australian-New Zealander. Just as a wild guess. But of course the stars of the film are American. :-/ It's heavy-handed post-colonialism and overt symbolism is something I used to like. But then I encountered Ruiz. :)
katsuben

PreviousNext

Return to Questions