Title of a French film????

Can't remember the title of a film or other questions? Ask here.

Title of a French film????

Postby eska2 » Thu Feb 08, 2001 7:42 am

I am looking for the name and possibly a copy of a movie I saw in Europe in 1985. It starts with the 10th wedding anniversary of a couple. That night the wife and daughter are kidnapped, and presumed dead after a car accident. Many years later the father meets a young woman in Italy looks and walks like his presumed dead wife. She turns out to be his daughter. He later finds out the kidnapper was his business partner who wanted to destroy him and the story develops from there. Please help me find the title of this movie, I've been searching for 16 years.

Re: Title of a French film????

Postby 4seam » Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:46 am

The film in question sounds like "Obsession" by Brian De Palma, actually made in US around 1977. Mother and grown up version of daughter were both played by great Genevieve Bujold who appeared in many French films. Many scenes in the film were directly swiped from Hitchcock's but who cares? Vilmos Zigmond's DP work created a great misty look.

Re: Title of a French film????

Postby Wildlyfer » Wed Apr 25, 2001 6:49 pm

Actually, thre is a similarity there but what's different is that Jeremy Irons slept with his daughter, not knowing that it was his until he meets her mother at the hospital. With Julia Delpy. Weird film but good.

Return to Questions