Choosing films to rewatch

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Choosing films to rewatch

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:10 am

I hope things work out for the better.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:42 pm

Stella Artois is the only lager I'd drink, most are too gassy and sugary for my taste. You should try and come to the UK wpqx and try some real beer, you would probably be in for quite a shock and would probably be permanently wasted.

Back to the subject of films though, I don't have a list of films to rewatch but often find myself taking a second look at films that didn't hit the mark the first time. Some end up rising in my estimation whereas some I enjoyed first time really drop on second or third viewings. I'm also often inspired to rewatch a film after reading other members comments here, Head On is calling me at the moment.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:02 pm

I just had an overwhelming notion to re-watch the Monkees' Head, certainly one of the most tripped out films of the decade, and one of the very few ventures into screenwriting for Jack Nicholson. Great movie, but I need sleep right now. Apparently you English pride yourself on your ability to outdrink people, so good for you.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:51 pm

Apparently you English pride yourself on your ability to outdrink people, so good for you.

They do have a reputation especially abroad, they're known as "lager louts". Thankfully I'm Welsh.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Sara » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:32 pm

This is my tentative list of films to rewatch. (They are not my favorites nor are they all the greatest films, but they are ones I would like to see again for various reasons.)

To rewatch for pure joy:

1 Fantasia 1940
2 Aguirre, the Wrath of God
3 Diary of a Country Priest
4 Yojimbo
5 8 1/2
6 Amadeus
7 Paths of Glory
8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

To watch because these films, though I liked them, have more depth than I was able to absorb the first time I saw them:

9 Battleship Potemkin
10 Tree of Wooden Clogs
11 Children of Paradise (Carre)
12 Cries and Whispers
13 Persona
14 Rules of the Game
15 L'Atalante
16 Andre Rublev
17 The Sacrifice
18 Passion of Joan of Arc
19 all of the Decalogue
20 Faust (Murnau) or Vampyr (Dreyer)

And #21 because this film I always wanted to see, yet was glad when it was over: The Last Year at Marienbad (groan.)

This list is subject to change at a moment's notice.

Any comments? Or suggestions?

Sara
Sara

Postby wpqx » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 pm

Last Year at Marienbad can drag at times, I nearly slept the second time I saw it too.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Nice list Sara, the whole of Decalogue , now that's a challenge in itself and truly worth the effort.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:38 pm

If it counts, I plan on watching A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love in the near future, so that's like re-watching 20% of the Decalogue. I'm not sure if its been too long since I've seen the whole thing, but I wonder if I'll be able to see how exactly they were expanded. All honesty I just haven't watched and Kieslowski in awhile, and I need to change that.
wpqx

Postby A » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:23 pm

I think it's a very good list.
In fact, if I had these films available at home I'd (re)watch them also
Except for Yojimbo, which I did rewatch some weeks ago, and which I think I've fully grasped (so it will have to wait a couple of months for another viewing. )

First time I saw Paths of Glory, I didn't like it. And I was already a Kubrick fan by then. Second time i saw it I fell in love with it, and now consider it one of the greatest films ever. Perception always changes, and it is really interesting to observe that.

"Children of paradise" is imo one of the greatest works of art in the history of mankind, and I'm amazed at it everytime I watch it. It drags a bit at the end of Part 1, but overall it is really masterful. But you are not alone in not aprreciating it to this extent. My favorite writer on film, Andre Bazin, who wrote about it in the 40s, didn't think much of it and saw it as a failure. He praised instead Carne's Les Visiteurs du soir from 1942.

I have the decalogue on VCD at home, but it won't play on my PC. Otherwise I would have watched it two weeks ago.
A

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations