Blind Swordsman films (Japan)

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Blind Swordsman films (Japan)

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:50 pm

I notice in your star system you gave two other films 3 ***. Would you give Z's Conspiracy 3 ***? I assume you would since you suggested it (along with the Pilgrimage) above all the others that you have seen.

Sorry Sara, forgot about the star ratings, yes as far as a Zatoichi film goes, I'd give Z's Conspiracy a 3*** rating.

Out of interest, Akira Kurosawa wanted Shintaro Katsu to star in Kagemusha but things didn't work out.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:50 pm

I notice in your star system you gave two other films 3 ***. Would you give Z's Conspiracy 3 ***? I assume you would since you suggested it (along with the Pilgrimage) above all the others that you have seen.

Sorry Sara, forgot about the star ratings, yes as far as a Zatoichi film goes, I'd give Z's Conspiracy a 3*** rating.

Out of interest, Akira Kurosawa wanted Shintaro Katsu to star in Kagemusha but things didn't work out.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Sara » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:03 pm

I watched the Blind Swordsman's Conspiracy last night.

Alas, Trevor, despite your picking out one of the best ones for me to see, as I sat there watching I could not help but wish I were watching KUROSAWA instead. There is just no comparison, is there?

There were some good moments, but all in all, the film just did not turn me on.

I remembered your saying the lead in this had been asked by Kurosawa to star in Kagemusha. I think he might have been a good choice, however the lead who did star in Kagemusha (and who 5 years later was the main character in Ran) was so very good that I am glad things worked out as they did.

Now, as far as old Katoichi - I am going to watch Kitano's as I want to see the tap dancing scene you refer to. But I think that will about do it for me with the Blind Swordsman.

Sara
Sara

Postby Sara » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:03 pm

I watched the Blind Swordsman's Conspiracy last night.

Alas, Trevor, despite your picking out one of the best ones for me to see, as I sat there watching I could not help but wish I were watching KUROSAWA instead. There is just no comparison, is there?

There were some good moments, but all in all, the film just did not turn me on.

I remembered your saying the lead in this had been asked by Kurosawa to star in Kagemusha. I think he might have been a good choice, however the lead who did star in Kagemusha (and who 5 years later was the main character in Ran) was so very good that I am glad things worked out as they did.

Now, as far as old Katoichi - I am going to watch Kitano's as I want to see the tap dancing scene you refer to. But I think that will about do it for me with the Blind Swordsman.

Sara
Sara

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:47 pm

Sara, I watched the Zatoichi films with very low expectations, they were better than I expected but certainly nowhere near Kurosawa, strange thing is the Zatoichi films are as popular if not more so in Japan compared to Kurosawa's films.

The films are low budget and the standard of the transfers I've seen have been average at best.

I do think you'll see a big difference with Kitano's version, better production values for one thing and of coarse, Kitano himself.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:47 pm

Sara, I watched the Zatoichi films with very low expectations, they were better than I expected but certainly nowhere near Kurosawa, strange thing is the Zatoichi films are as popular if not more so in Japan compared to Kurosawa's films.

The films are low budget and the standard of the transfers I've seen have been average at best.

I do think you'll see a big difference with Kitano's version, better production values for one thing and of coarse, Kitano himself.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby 69soixanteneuf » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:58 pm

Yep I've seen a couple, the worst thing was the poor quality of the film on DVD, they could make more effort.

Kitano's is the best because it's got humor.
69soixanteneuf

Postby 69soixanteneuf » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:58 pm

Yep I've seen a couple, the worst thing was the poor quality of the film on DVD, they could make more effort.

Kitano's is the best because it's got humor.
69soixanteneuf

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations