Films that are surreal,weird, and/or outrageous

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Films that are surreal,weird, and/or outrageous

Postby Sara » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:59 pm

Yesterday I watched David Lynch's "Eraserhead." That goes at the top of my list. While I enjoyed its strangeness, I was left scratching my head and felt uneasy throughout.

#2 Bunuel's "Un Chien Andalou"

#3 Bunuel's "L'Age d'Or"

#4 Bunuel's "The Phantom of Liberty" which I found hilarious.

The Bunuel films were a true delight! I would not say that Eraserhead was a delight. Just weird, weird, weird.

What surreal or weird films can you think of?

Sara
Sara

Re: Films that are surreal,weird, and/or outrageous

Postby Johndav » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Wayward Cloud springs to mind at once, as it's fresh in the memory. Tsai is a genuinely artful director (often too slow for some tastes) but here, while preserving his beautiful languorous longueurs, he launches into the territory not only of musical kitsch, but also of the provocative outrageous sexuality of Takashi Miike + Oshima's Ai no Corrida- which, taken with his usual minimal dialogue and visual imagination, add up to something new, astonishing and extraordinary. I'd be interested to hear other reactions, cos i'm inclined to think it's among the few genuine and original masterpieces of recent years. That's before it's had time to bed in.

Otherwise, do see Street of Crocodiles (Quay twins' Czech-influenced macabre animated short). I'm interested to see they've got a new feature length film out. Madhuban is much more an expert, but do delve into Czech surrealism generally; e.g i liked Valerie and her Week of Wonders, and Svankmajer part-animated films like Conspirators of Pleasure. Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain is worth a look though i think from his other films especially, he would seem to be more shallow than his fans would have us believe.

A must is the Russian animated masterpiece Tale of Tales (Norstein), voted greatest ever animation back in 1984 and with very good reason.

Or how about Paradjanov's Ashik Kerib?

Cocteau: Orphee trilogy
Johndav

Postby madhuban » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:04 pm

Off the cuff -

1. Aki Kaurismaki's "Hamlet Goes Business" for its utter irreverence for Shakespeare's text (the central issue around which there is a heap of dead bodies in the film, is the business of making rubber ducks!!!)

2. Agree with John about "Ashik Kerib" and would like to add "Legend of Suram Fortress". Perhaps, also "Sayatnova" because what is mindboggling is that Paradzhanov's crafty lighting (virtually no shadows) hardly allows depth and produces a flat painterly surface.

3. Jean Cocteau's "Blood Of a Poet" in addition to the Orphee trilogy that John suggests.

4. Maya Deren's "Meshes Of Afternoon"

5. Juraj Herz's "The Cremator" for the truly bizarre conflation (and the suggestion that one becomes the other) of the language of peace and salvation with fascism and murder.

6. Peter Greenaway's "A Zed and Two Noughts"

7. Fellini's "Juliet Of The Spirits"

8. Bert Haanstra's "Zoo". The gaze into the cage is turned on itself.

7. M. F. Hussain's "Gajagamini" and "Meenaxi". These are really a series of installations and tableux exploiting bollywood kitsch.

8. Cronenberg's "Crash"

9. Bunuel's "The Exterminating Angel"

10. Reggio's "Koyaanisqatsi"

M
madhuban

Postby madhuban » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:48 pm

John, i'm no expert on czech cinema...though, i may be a little more familiar with some of those films than the average film buff...but, i won't let down your faith in me...here goes...

my previous list already has one, "The Cremator".

1. Chytilova's "Daisies"
2. Vorlicek's "Who Wants To Kill Jessie?" (will write a review soon)
3. Juraj Herz's "Morgiana"
4. Forman's "The Fireman's Ball"
5. Jindrich Polak's "Tomorrow I'll Wake Up And Scald Myself With Tea"

M
madhuban

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Sara. I'd agree with your selection, though Bunuel has some moments in most if not all his films.

John. There is a thread for The Wayward Cloud - LINK, a few of us have seen it and it certainly belongs with the surreal and outrageous.

On top of these, another definite would be Battle in Heaven - LINK

Definitely a few of Miike's films, "Dead or Alive", just sickening, "Gozu" surreal, bizarre and extremely boring and most of all "Visitor Q" which makes a determined effort to break every taboo, necrophilia and incest amongst many others.

Of course there are many others as well such as "Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom" by Pasolini and La Grand Bouffe by Marco Ferreri.

Darren Aronofsky with "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream", come to think of it Sara, you've really opened up a can of worms here, there are loads stretching right back to the dawn of cinema.

Should provide some interesting discussion though.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Johndav » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Yeah, i was thinking of Miike and Salo (for the "outrageous" part). Thanks for the link to Wayward Cloud- i was looking for one on it, thought i'd seen something somewhere.

Another strange one: Of Freaks and Men (Balabanov)
Johndav

Postby Unregistered(d) » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:46 pm

Jodorowsky's EL TOPO and SANTA SANGRE (try to find Dean Stockwell)
Unregistered(d)

Postby Johndav » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:06 am

Ah, well they're the 2 by Jodorowsky i'm not so keen on! But they do fit the bill.
Johndav

Postby Unregistered(d) » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:12 am

Just thought of another one: Ridley's THE REFLECTING SKIN
Unregistered(d)

Postby Sara » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:44 am

Here's another:

Dead Man directed by Jim Jarmusch with Johnny Depp

And yes, yes, yes, trevor, to Requiem for a Dream and Pi!

Sara
Sara

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations