What are the best opening 2-3 minutes on film?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: What are the best opening 2-3 minutes on film?

Postby A » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:11 am

Oh, how could I forget "Un chien andalou"
The opening of Rosetta was really great, it's probably one of the ten best opening scenes I've seen. But the rest of the film didn't keep this up, though I liked it.
The opening of Mirror, also my favorite part of the whole film, and "Andrei Rublov" you probably mean the edited version, where you aren't introduced to the men. Great indeed.
Forgot to mention the beginning of "The Red and The White", or how about "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly"?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:15 am

Maybe not the best, but certainly good:

THE WORLD, the showgirl searching for a band-aid.

THIS MAN MUST DIE, a young boy plays at the sea shore and a speeding car in the countryside..

TEN DAY'S WONDER, a man wakes up, covered in blood

BETTY, she merely walks into a bar.

LA BELLE HISTOIRE, Paris seen through time lapse accompanied by Brel's "La valse mille temps"

IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, the opening sequence is like 10CC's of adreniline

Dazzling openings (that didn't hold up)

WIT, Emma thompson zoning out in the Doctor's office--whoa, wait a minute, did he just say "cancer?"

BIRTH, the jogger in central park.

Postby madhuban » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:50 am

"Last Year In Marienbad" (Alain Resnais):
the lavish architecture of a mansion...the baroque decor...a whispery disembodied voice...a stream-of-consciousness monologue, almost overheard..."as if the floor were still sand and gravel, or stone slabs...over which i advanced once again through the corridoors, salons, galleries...the structure of this mournful mansion from another age...this huge and luxurious mansion...silent rooms, where fotsteps are absorbed by carpets so heavy, so thick...that no one hears no step..." repeated obsessively, with little syntactic changes...simply mesmerising!!!

"The Pillow Book" (Peter Greenaway):
tight close up of a child in black and white...the father lovingly writes on her face, saying, when god created man, he painted in the eyes...moments later, when the mirror is held up, the child sees her relection in colour...very sensuous!

the cinematographer for the two films, separated by 35 years, is the great Sacha Vierny!

"The Sea That Thinks" (Gert De Graaff):
the phone rings and a man gets up from bed to walk across the room to take the call - he has bizarre nightmares of this simple act...
the opening is lovely, but the film degenrates...the play with optical illusion becomes tiring, and the existential angst gives you a headache...a film to forget, except the rather surprising opening sequence.

Postby Johndav » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:01 am

Lovely description of Marienbad, and worthy choice. No coincidence about Vierny, i'm sure my fellow Welshman Greenaway sought him out as Marienbad is his favourite film (or was last i heard).

I've not seen The Sea that Thinks.

Pillow Book: i'm afraid i disliked it, not a patch on Sei Shonagon's wonderful original.

Would like to see Ten Days Wonder again cos it may be Chabrol's most underrated/unfairly neglected; i enjoyed it a lot but memory is vague.

Postby Sara » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:19 pm

Remember how we struggled with Mik's quiz scenes of the opening shots?

I vote for Nosferatu!

Postby Iserp » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:17 pm

I always liked the opening of "apocalypse now": The jungle, all quite and green, and then the helicopters, and suddenly all fire, while "The end" sounds.

"the apartment" is funny. You look the building, all people working, while hearing a lot of mathematical data about the company; and then you see jack lemmon working alone, stops saying things about the company, and tells you his personal problem, why he is there instead of home.

And "Muerte de un ciclista" (Juan Antonio Bardem, 1955), just amazing.

Besides, I like the opening with gandalf in "LOTR: The fellowship of the ring", the dialogue (specially the one about the tips) in "reservoir dogs", when Max von Sydow meets death in "the seventh seal" and the Korova pub in "a clockwork orange".

Postby madhuban » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:54 pm

How could i forget "Three Colours: White"! the suitcase rattling along on the conveyer belt...apparently a very normal phenomenon, till you realise that a man is being smuggled across the border in it An opening, that, in hindsight, is revealed to be potent!

"Run Lola Run": before the credits roll, people rambling about, and a rather poetic voiceover, deliberately bringing back memories of Damiel in Wenders' "Wings of Desire" and "Faraway Yet So Close"...and then the phone rings, no time for philosophy...to reckless business

Postby A » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:07 am

Heh, just realized that I had totally forgotten that I ever saw "The sea that thinks".
Thanks for the mention, though i don`t think too many people have heard of it. I also found it interesting at first, but after a while it got boring in its repetitiveness. Self-.centered and indulgent.
But maybe I need to see it again...

Return to Lists and Recommendations