Qn: What are your favorite Isabelle Huppert films?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Qn: What are your favorite Isabelle Huppert films?

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:24 am

Time of the Wolf doesn't focus on Huppert but it needs to be seen because it's a great film. Directed by Michael Haneke (The Piano Teacher).
arsaib4

Postby Sara » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:19 pm

The last two films of Huppert's that I have seen, I really did not enjoy not could I really get into them.

They were "I Heart Huckabees" and "Loulou."

I was really disapppointed.

Sara
Sara

Postby trevor826 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:44 pm

That's a shame Sara, I thought she made "I Heart Huckabees" and proves she can certainly do comedy.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:06 pm

As for a comic role, also see 8 femmes by Francois Ozon. She`s hilarious there.
A

Postby Sara » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:18 pm

I have seen her in "8 women" and I agree, she is hilarious! She seems to be having a good time playing this role.

Has anyone seen her in "The Time of the Wolf?" The Netflix comments are mixed.

Sara
Sara

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:17 pm

Time of the Wolf is a challenging film, not unlike The Piano Teacher. (I wish I had my review but it disappeared along with the old site.)

It's more of an ensemble piece. The film starts off with Huppert's family which escapes from the city and ends up in a country home only to find out that it's been invaded. Haneke doesn't exactly tell us what has happened but it's easy to decipher that it's sort an apocalyptic situation (like SARS or a nuclear attack). Then the family moves to a train station where other survivors are there in a sort of a make-shift environment. From there, Haneke concentrates on human spirit and how it prevails in the face of adversity.

It's very dry like all other Haneke films but if you liked his previous effort then it's possible that you may find find it worthwhile.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:02 pm

I thought her role in Time of the Wolf was nothing interesting. She plays a "normal" woman with no special features, excentricity`s, etc. more introverted than anything else. The acting fits the role, but she isn`t the main character. As Arsaib said, it`s more of an ensemle piece.
What I found very lacking was the screenplay and the dialogues. The film was very schematic in its presentation of people dealing with different situations, and to me it seemed as if Haneke had a check list which he worked through - not very inspiring. But as this is still Haneke making something he cares about (though I wonder if he hasn`t become a bit lazy, catering more to (festival)-audiences after he has become such a renowned director), there are some great moments in the film, along with a fine ending. The best character for me in the film was nature itself, though the focus was (sadly) primarily on people. And I think Haneke`s aim in not telling the cause of the catastrophe, so the audience doesn`t debate about its probability, backfires heavily, as I was wondering what exactly happened throughout the film.
Compared to "Code: Unknown" and "The Piano Teacher" a satisfying but mediocre effort. Solid "art-house" cinema.
A

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:37 am

Caught the Piano Teacher again last night on TV, it's definitely one of those films that remains shocking and most of that is down to Isabelle Huppert's outstanding performance.

She is one hell of an actress, it's no wonder she's constantly in demand, she can tackle such a wide variety of roles.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby mcdan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:59 pm

I think she was amazing in The Piano Teacher but I personally loved her role in The Ceremony the best. 8 Women was sheer fun. Some of the other films I need to revisit - but Huppert is always great. I wonder what film she has coming up next?
mcdan

Postby Sara » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:16 pm

I looked Huppert up on IMDB, and it looks like she has 5 since I Heart Huckabees. Some not yet released, and the rest not yet on DVD.

All the names of the movies are in French, so I will not attempt to list them for fear of making a mess of the spelling.

Sara
Sara

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations