Best Films of the 70s

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of the 70s

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:13 am

I had Tale of Tales as being released in 1980, otherwise it could have easily made my list (and will be included whenever we get to the 80s). As far as the Passenger goes, I think its Antonioni's best film (which isn't too strange considering all the Zabriskie Point fans here).
wpqx

Postby A » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:19 pm

Ah, "tale of tales", a fine film of which I have fond memories - I watched it in the theater. Afterwards I was talking for a while with a UK scholar who had published a new book on Yuri Norstain. Doesn't quite make my list, though.
I'd like to see more films by Norstein. I know there's a good DVD out somewhere, but last time I checked it was too expensive.

I think now that Anasazie is gone I'm again the only one championing Zabriskie Point around here But there are so many films by Antonioni which I haven't seen yet. If he has another like that up the sleeve...
A

Postby jcdavies » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:56 pm

Ah yes, well, i only just read today the, ahem, interesting debate on Zabriskie Point on the other thread- would need to see it again, a long time since i did.

Must take care over the dreaded "H" word. Hippos, anyone?
jcdavies

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:11 pm

I stand by my potentially inflammatory remarks towards the flower children.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:54 pm

Careful, careful, with these h-words one never knows what might happen if one uses them in the wrong context.
But I guess I should check out the Arthur Penn Movie.
I remember how our class at college reacted when we were shown Hair at school.
A

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:06 pm

I loved Hair. If you're referring to Penn's Alice's Restaurant oh boy proceed with caution. I love the Arlo Guthrie album of which it was based, but lame flower children hippy commune crap gallore. Hair I thought was an intriguing film that to me embodied the best of what that generation had to offer, and perhaps this is because the film was made several years after the fact, it gave it a while to look at it through a sober camera eye. Plus the actors in question had enough charm and charisma to pull off being "free spirits" rather than just a bunch of loadies saying "far out".
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:35 pm

Maybe I should watch them both at once. Will keep an eye out for them.
A

Postby A » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:00 am

Watched The Rescuers (John Lounsbery, Wolfgang Reitherman, Art Stevens / USA) again a couple of days ago, and while it is still one of my favorite cartoons, I'm not sure if I should be keeping it on the list. Rating dropped to a (still pretty high) 76/100.
Hmm, that's definitely too low, but some films with similar ratings are sometimes listed by me, if I have the feeling that they could crack the 80s mark with the next viewing. But I suppose this one might even slip a bit further.
What do you think, should I keep it until I watch it again (whenever that will be)? Has anyone seen the film?
A

Postby wpqx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:51 am

No I haven't seen the film. I forgot Woostock on my list, and its certainly among the most watched films from the 70s for me, although it has been many years.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Beside the sixties my favorite era in cinema. Unfortunately, I need to see many of the films again I considered as masterpieces two or more years ago, so my list isn't nearly complete. And, again, I haven't seen many of the "important" films of this decade (in this case, the "importance" doesn't mean much to me - I don't care which movies are said to be important). The only thing that really worries me: There are too few asian films...

Rote Sonne / Red Sun (Rudolf Thome / West Germany)
The Last Valley (James Clavell / UK)
Deadlock (Roland Klick / West Germany)
Little Big Man (Arthur Penn / USA)
Zabriskie Point (Michelangelo Antonioni / USA)
Eugénie (Jesus Franco / France/Liechtenstein/West Germany)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (Sam Peckinpah / USA)
La Morte risale a ieri sera / Death Occured Last Night (Duccio Tessari / Italy/West Germany)
Atlantis - Ein Sommermärchen / Atlantis (Eckhart Schmidt / West Germany)
Deep End (Jerzy Skolimowsky / West Germany/UK)
Mathias Kneissl (Reinhardt Hauff / West Germany)
L'Uccello dalle piume di cristallo / The bird with the crystal plumage (Dario Argento / Italy/West Germany)
El Topo / The Mole (Alejandro Jodorowsky / Mexico)
Götter der Pest / Gods of the Plague (Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany)
Nicht der Homosexuelle ist pervers, sondern die Situation, in der er lebt / It Is Not the Homosexual Who Is Perverse, But the Society in Which He Lives (Rosa von Praunheim / West Germany)

Frenzy (Alfred Hitchcock / UK)
Confessione di un commissario di polizia al procuratore della repubblica / Confessions of a Police Commissioner to the District Attorney (Damiano Damiani / Italy)
Max et les ferrailleurs / Max and the scrap merchants (Claude Sautet / France)
A clockwork orange (Stanley Kubrick, UK)
Giù la testa / Duck you, Sucker (Sergio Leone / Italy)
Vanishing Point (Richard C. Sarafian / USA)
Ich liebe dich, Ich töte dich / I love you, I kill you (Uwe Brandner / West Germany)
W.R. - Misterije Organizma / W.R. - Mysteries of the Organism (Dusan Makavejev, Yugoslavia/West Germany)
Get Carter (Mike Hodges / UK)
The Devils (Ken Russell / UK)
Whity (Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany/Spain)
Quattro mosche di velluto grigio / Four flies on grey velvet (Dario Argento / Italy/France)
The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola / USA)
Les Lévres rouges / The red lips (Harry Kmel / Belgium/France/West Germany)

Girolimoni, Il mostro di Roma / Girolimoni, the Monster of Rome (Damiano Damiani / Italy)
Cosa avete fatto a Solange? / What have you done to Solange? (Massimo Dallamano / Italy/West Germany)
Vampire Circus (Robert Young / UK)
Summertime Killer (Antonioni Isasi-Ismaendi / Italy/Spain/France)
Deliverance (John Boorman / USA)
Lisa e il diavolo / Lisa and the devil (Mario Bava / USA/Italy/West Germany)
Junior Bonner (Sam Peckinpah / USA)
Il Tuo vizio una stanza chiusa e solo io ne ho la chiave / Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (Sergio Martino / Italy)
Eolomea (Hermann Zschoche / East Germany)
Die bitteren Tränen der Petra von Kant / The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany)
Le charme discret de la Bourgeoisie / The Discreet Charme of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel / Italy/France)
Kronos (Brian Clemens / UK)
The Last house on the left (Wes Craven / USA)

Don't look now (Nicolas Roeg / UK/Italy)
Turks Fruit / Turkish Delight (Paul Verhoeven, Netherlands)
Amarcord (Federico Fellini / Italy/France)
Lemora - A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (Richard Blackburn / USA)
La rose de fer / The Rose of Iron (Jean Rollin / France)
Martha (Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany)
La grande bouffe / The grande Bouffe (Marco Ferreri / France/Italy)
The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy / UK)
Badlands (Terrence Malick / USA)
Themroc (Claude Faraldo / France)
Anita - Ur en Tonarsflickas Dagbok / Anita - Diary of a Nymphomaniac (Torgny Wickman / Sweden)

Alice in den Städten / Alice in the Cities (Wim Wenders / West Germany)
Angst essen Seele auf / Ali: Fear eats the soul (Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany)
La polizia chiede aiuto / What have they done to your daughters (Massimo Dallamano / Italy)
Thriller - En grym film / Thriller - A cruel picture (Bo Arne Vibenius / Sweden)
The Godfather: Part II (Francis Ford Coppola / USA)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper / USA)
Chinatown (Roman Polanski / USA)
Il profumo della Signora in nero / The Perfume of the Lady in black (Francesco Barilli / Italy)
Shurayukihime / Lady Snowblood (Toshiya Fujita / Japan)
Tommy (Ken Russel / UK)
Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia (Sam Peckinpah / Mexico/USA)

Profondo Rosso / Deep red (Dario Argento / Italy)
Barry Lyndon (Stanley Kubrick / USA/UK)
Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma / Salo or the 120 days of Sodom (Pier Paolo Pasolini / Italy/France)
Professione: Reporter / The Passenger (Michelangelo Antonioni / Italy/Spain/France)
Faustrecht der Freiheit / Fist-right of Freedom (Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany)
Montana Sacra / The Holy Mountain (Alejando Jodorowsky / Mexico/USA)
Morte sospetta di una minorenne / Suspected death of a minor (Sergio Martino / Italy)
The Man Who Would Be King (John Huston / USA/UK)
Sebastiane (Derek Jarman / UK/Italy)
L'Important c'est d'aimer / The most important thing: Love (Andrzej Zulawski / France/West Germany/Italy)
La Bête / The Beast (Walerian Borowczyk / France)
Lina Braake oder Die Interessen der Bank können nicht die Interessen sein, die Lina Braake hat / Lina Braake or the interests of the bank cannot be the interests of Lina Braake (Bernhard Sinkel / West Germany)
Jaws (Steven Spielberg / USA)
Numéro deux / Number Two (Jean-Luc Godard, Anne-Marie Miville / France)

Keoma (Enzo G. Castellari / Italy)
Assault on Precinct 13 (John Carpenter / USA)
Casanova (Federico Fellini / Italy/France)
The Image (Radley Metzger, USA/France)
Na srebrnym globie / The Silver Globe (Andrzej Zulawski / Poland)
Chinesisches Roulette / Chinese Roulette (Rainer Werner Fassbinder / West Germany/France)
La Casa dalle Finestre che ridono / The House with laughing windows (Pupi Avati / Italy)
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese / USA)
La Marge / The Margin (Walerian Borowczyk / France)
Izbavitelj / The rat savior (Krsto Papic / Yugoslavia)

Suspiria (Dario Argento / Italy/West Germany)
Hausu / House (Nobuhiko Obayashi / Japan)
Martin (George A. Romero / USA)
Obsession (Brian de Palma / USA)
Spielen wir Liebe / Playing with love (Pier Giuseppe Murgia / West Germany/Italy)
Eraserhead (David Lynch / USA)
Behind Convent walls (Walerian Borowczyk / Italy)
Io Ho Paura / I am afraid (Damiano Damiani / Italy)
Cross of Iron (Sam Peckinpah / West Germany/UK)

Dawn of the dead (George A. Romero / USA/Italy)
The Deer Hunter (Michael Cimino / USA)
The Shout (Jerzy Skolimowski / UK)
Die Schweizermacher / The Swissmakers (Rolf Lyssy / Switzerland)
Halloween (John Carpenter / USA)
Messer im Kopf / Knife in the Head (Reinhardt Hauff / West Germany)

Tess (Roman Polanski / UK/France)
The Fog (John Carpenter / USA)
Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky / Russia/West Germany)
Cannibal Holocaust (Ruggero Deodato / Italy/Columbia/West Germany)
Alien (Ridley Scott / UK/USA)
Das Ende des Regenbogens / The End of the Rainbow (Uwe Friener / West Germany)
Quadrophenia (Frank Roddam / UK)
Il Mistero di Oberwald / The Mystery of Oberwald (Michelangelo Antonioni / Italy/West Germany)
I... comme Icare / I as in Icarus (Henri Verneuil / France)

Maybe I should've kicked the italian """genre"""-films out and into a separate list but as they mean the same to me as "The Passenger" or "Stalker" (for example) I allowed them to stay.

@ A:

Now there's somebody else who supports "Zabriskie Point". Indeed one of the greatest american films ever made (in my opinion, of course...)

* Just added Damiano Damiani's amazingly ambivalent political crime drama "I am afraid" and Jerzy Skolimowki's "Teorema"-like alienation study "The Shout".
R6dw6C

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations