Czech/Slovak top 10 films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Czech/Slovak top 10 films

Postby jcdavies » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:44 pm

My favourites:

Closely Observed Trains (Menzel)
Marketa Lazarova (Vlacil)
The Hand (Trnka)
Daisies (Chytilova)
The Party and the Guests (Nemec)
Valerie and her Week of Wonders (Jires)
Alice (Svankmajer)
The Cremator (Herz)
The Ear (Kachyna)
A Blonde in Love (Forman)

i'm confident i'd add something by Karel Zeman when i can get to see some of his feature-length films in full...
jcdavies

Re: Czech/Slovak top 10 films

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:49 pm

No Diamonds of the Night? At least for the time being that'd be my favorite Czech film.
wpqx

Postby jcdavies » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:30 pm

Ah that's my #1 must-see Czech film! Do you know of dvd?
jcdavies

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:54 pm

Not that I know of, Facets released a VHS of it, and that's how I saw the film. I'm just worried that all the expectation built up for Marketa Lazarova is going to make it inevitably a little disappointing.
wpqx

Postby A » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:04 am

I also saw it on a poor Facets VHS, but the film is good enough, to risk this endeavour.

I'm glad i have some of your Top ten films on DVD, just waiting to be seen.
I'm grateful that a company like Second Run is out there, giving us yet unreleased gems in a good quality on DVD.

My (current) Top Five:

1. Sedmikrasky Daisies (1966 / Vera Chytilov)
2. Demanty noci Diamonds of the Night + Sousto A Bite to Eat (1964 + 1960 / Jan Nemec)
3. Moznosti dialogu Dimensions of Dialogue (1982 / Jan Svankmajer)
4. Cern Petr Black Peter (1964 / Milos Forman)
5. Mal morsk vla The little Mermaid (1975 / Karel Kachyna)

Don't have more favorite films that would qualify at the moment, but I've seen a dozen other good and great films from that country.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:17 am

Can't wait to see Marketa Lazarov. I've considered ordering the Second Run DVD but I'm hoping that Facets, or another U.S. distributor, will soon make a move.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:59 am

This year I got a chance to see The Wonderful Years that Sucked and hope that it finds a DVD release someday, considering the film was made in 1997 I don't think a regular theatrical run is going to happen. Although we may complain about the availability of certain Czech films it is appalling how little is available from the country in the years following the new wave.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:17 am

I could still use a few more proper Czechoslovak New Wave releases, but you're right that not much is available from the period which followed.

Nemec's Diamonds of the Night is out on Czech DVD with subs, but I don't own it. The same is true for Petr Nikolaev's film.
arsaib4

Return to Lists and Recommendations