Best Films of the 50s

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of the 50s

Postby jcdavies » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:32 am

Add to my list Tokyo Twilight, one of Ozu's great masterpieces and best film of 1957.
jcdavies

Postby collectedsoul » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:06 pm

I've seen Night and the City...liked watching it but the morbidness was a little trying at times.
collectedsoul

Postby collectedsoul » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:10 pm

wanted some reactions on cassavettes' shadows...i really disliked the film, seemed like an absolutely mindless venture on film. i have heard it is important as one of the first independent films from america...but what about the film itself do you like?
collectedsoul

Postby wpqx » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Can't knock Rio Bravo. If you get a chance A, watch Hawks much less appreciated El Dorado, very similar but equally rewarding.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Yes, I had a lot of fun watching it. I guess I just love the casual way Hawks deals with his characters. And he always cares for all of them. Same as in his other films I've seen. I'll keep a look out for El Dorado and anything else by Hawks.
A

Postby wpqx » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:33 pm

I'm running low on available Hawks films to see, but have found quite a great deal of joy in all of them. The only film of his I didn't like was Scarface, and after a recent re-watch that opinion has been completely reversed.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:56 am

"And after some consideration I also decided to include Mikio Naruse's "Floating Clouds" (1955). Boy, this has really grown on me since I've seen it the first time."

Glad to hear that. It's one of the best Naruse films I've so far, and is now available on subtitled DVD!
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations