Best Films of the Decade

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Films of the Decade

Postby A » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Interesting to discover that from the 39 films I have seen from arsaib's list, 26 are on my own.
Very pleased to see The Yards mentioned, a film that seems totally neglected but which I liked very much. I recently read an appreciation of it somewhere, but can't remember where exactly. Hmm, maybe I will find it.
Ah, yes here it is, Cinemascope issue 26, online under: www.cinema-scope.com/cs26...eyards.htm
Fine piece by the (to me yet unknown) Andrew Tracy.
Wanted to revisit the film after I read the article, which is usually a very good sign for the quality of a writer.
A

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:23 pm

I think this approach would be better for films of earlier decades, rather tan some over simplified "top ten" list. Even though we already made and I already participated in top tens for the last two decades, I think this type of ranking is much more comprehensive.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:03 pm

I agree with you, though the funny thing is that I started this list more by chance, when I remembered that we tried to find the best films of the new decade on the old board, and wanted to bring the topic back in some form.
I love the Top Ten games, but as you say, listing Your Top Ten of a decade, even with follow-ups, is very limiting.
Listing all the essential and great films is much more exhausting, and I think it will be fun seeing more obscure titles. On the other hand of course, if you have 100+ titles listed, the distinction between the best and the "worst" can't be made so easily. Your approach here covers some of both.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks, A. We certainly do share quite a few films, and not just well-known critically acclaimed films, but also smaller, challenging ones. I thought about doing the list by year, but that could've been confusing for the reader because a few films are listed in my annual lists by U.S. release year, and here obviously I've gone with the World Premieres.

That's certainly a great article by Andrew Tracy. He's the managing editor of CS. I've come across his work in a few other publictions also, and he's usually quite impressive.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:12 pm

Just for a reference point arsaib, it may have helped to list the films year of production. I do prefer your method this time around, because your "top tens" are sometimes more exhaustive than even this. Although some years there really are some gems, 2002, 2004, and 2005 I found all these years to be remarkable, whereas I didn't even find a need to list runners-up for 2000 and 2003. I have faith that 2006 will turn out a great year, nothing I've seen yet has overwhelmed me, but there have been quite a few surprising and worthwhile movies. Last year I saw more films in the theater than any other, and I hope that record gets broken again this year.
wpqx

Postby jcdavies » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:27 am

My updated list: (couldn't get in under Johndav- why wouldn't ezboard accept this user name any more, even when my password came on automatically?):

2000 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee)*
Werckmeister Harmonies (Tarr)*
At the Height of Summer (Tran Anh- Hung)
Eureka (Aoyama)
In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-Wai)
Chunhyang (Im)
Isle (Kim Ki-duk)
Platform (Jia Zhangke)
Suzhou River (Lou Ye)
The Day i Became a Woman (Meshkini)
The Claim (Winterbottom)

2001 Mulholland Dr (Lynch)*
What Time is it There? (Tsai)
Monday Morning (Iosseliani)
Spirited away (Miyazaki)
Winged Migration (Perrin,Cluzaud)
Gerry (Van Sant)

2002 Far from Heaven (Haynes)
Blissfully Yours (Weerasethakul)
Talk to Her (Almodovar)
Finding Nemo (Stanton)
Femme Fatale (De Palma)
Waiting for Happiness (Sissako)
Japon (Reygadas)
Pistol Opera (Suzuki)
Dolls (Kitano)
Snake of June (Tsukamoto)

2003 Dogville (Von Trier)*
The Return (Zvyagintsev)*
Oldboy (Park Chan-Wook)
Story of the Weeping Camel (Davaa, Falorni)
Untold Scandal (E-J Yong)
Big Fish (Burton)
Histoire de Marie et Julien (Rivette)
A Tale of Two Sisters (Ji Woon-Kim)

2004 Howl's Moving Castle (Miyazaki)*
Innocence (Hadzihalilovic)
Before Sunset (Linklater)
The Life Aquatic (W.Anderson)
Moolad (Sembene)
The Weeping Meadow (Angelopoulos)
2046 (Wong Kar-Wai)
The Incredibles (Bird)
The Consequences of Love (Sorrentino)
House of the Flying Daggers (Zhang Yimou)

2005 The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes (Quay bros)*
The New World (Malick)
The Wayward Cloud (Tsai)
Three Times (Hou)
L'Enfant (Dardenne bros)
Where the Truth Lies (Egoyan)
Princess Raccoon (Suzuki)
Good Night and Good Luck (Clooney)

2006 Climates (Ceylan)
Offside (Panahi)
Black Book (Verhoeven)
Red Road (Arnold)

i've really enjoyed all of these- a strong period for international films, even if there are few of the very greatest masterpieces. A pity Hollywood seems to have so little of value to offer.
jcdavies

Postby A » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 pm

I seem to be a lot more enthusiastic about the new decade than you are.
Intend to make a listing of favorite film that uses your rating (0 to 3 stars applied to favorites), but I don't know if I'll get it ready this year.
What did U add? Where the truth lies? If it's really that good, I should put it on my list of cinematic releases I want to see. Somehow it didn't sound interesting enough even after reading several reviews, so I left it off. And I was a bit disappointed with Egoyan's last two films.
A

Postby A » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:02 pm

Kicked out Los lunes al sol (Fernando Leon de Aranoa / 2002) after watching it again. Still a very good film, but not as powerful and subtle as the first time. Actually it is a bit formulaic, and has only a few really great scenes (though the screenplay remains strong). Rating was 70 out of 100, so I had to put it off the list.
But Battle in Heaven entered instead, and 109 movies remain in the game
After having watched Oh brother where art thou again, I removed it from the possible contenders list.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:14 am

Still a very good film, but not as powerful and subtle as the first time. Actually it is a bit formulaic, and has only a few really great scenes (though the screenplay remains strong).

Couldn't agree more. And the fact that Spanish academy chose it over Talk to Her is still unbelievable to me. (Though, in a rare brilliant move, ours still found a way to reward the master for his achievement.)
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:24 am

Once again zou are right. Seems like wisdom comes with age. I just hope I won|t have to exclude some of my other favorites on a rewatch.
And Talk to her remains very strong even after several viewings. I think it won in the best screenplay category... for once the academy was right!
A

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations