Your 10 favorite movies of all time

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Your 10 favorite movies of all time

Postby A » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:55 pm

I think a Top list should always be personal. With me it just happens, that the films I like the most are also the ones I automatically consider to be the best.
So I have no scruples listing my Ten favorites. Of course they are changing a lot over the years.

I find bamboomedia's idea very good. Maybe you could open a thread on this.

And yes, many lists do seem a little too similar (though I like to think that mine might look quite eclectic to some people ).

On a sidenote, I actually met a cineaste who didn't like Paris,Texas . Who would have thought it possible?
A

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:53 am

1.La Regle du Jeu..... J. Renoir
2.Sayat Nova (Colour Of Pomegranate)...S. Parajanov
3.Tokyo Story...... Y.Ozu
4.Zerkalo (Mirror).....A. Tarkovsky
5.L'Atalante..... J.Vigo
6.La Notti di Cabiria (Nights Of Cabiria)......F.Fellini
7.Diary Of A Country Priest....R.Bresson
8.Ordet (The Word)..... C.T.Dreyer
9.Ikiru (Living/To Live)... A.Kurosawa
10.La Grande Illusion..... J. Renoir

i guess this is a stubborn list on my part as it hasn't changed in years (only re arranged) for me the top 3 are safe forever,the rest who knows?but as some idiot once said "ATiger Never Changes His Spots"!
gratefultiger

Postby A » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 am

I wish my Top Ten would sit as comfortable. It's true that some of the titles have been there for years already, but only last year, my number one dropped out of my Top 100 entirely, and I think there will be more changes in the first ranks after a couple of re-viewings.

You have a fairly classic list, and I have yet to see your 6,7, and 9.
How long have you been watching films already?
A

Postby wpqx » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:39 pm

My top ten is so boring to me. I mean I love all those films, but it is nearly impossible for a new film to crack that, and everytime I think about it, I can't imagine my top ten list without any of the films already included. More fun is my top ten albums, which has altered quite a bit over the same number of years. Believe me A, its a little boring to have the same list memorized and unchanging for years.

I've seen all of GT's films, and like nearly everyone's list there are a few I would certainly have no problem with and other's that wouldn't even come near my top 100.

Why exactly did you find so much disfavor with Ulysses Gaze lately A?
wpqx

Postby gratefultiger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:45 am

Old habits do die hard,and i do need to see some more films from Eastern Europe as i love Bela Tarr's work,i have been watching films seriously for over 40 years (i'm mid 50's)'i also like Angelopolous a lot i do have a penchant for the long brooding film, like tarkovsky it is all in the journey.
gratefultiger

Postby A » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:48 pm

Actually I didn't find much disfavor with "Ulysse's Gaze" the last time I saw it, (It's still one of the best films of 95) but enough to throw it out of my Top 100. I saw it at the cinema in a horribly dubbed german version, so it might improve again with another viewing (the fifth?), but I hadn't seen it in a long time before that, and since my taste in movies has been evolving so much during the last years, I didn't find it a wise decision leaving a film in my top list which I hadn't properly watched in a long time. I don't think I can leave a film in any of my list with a good conscience, if I haven't seen it again during the last three to four years (though one has to make compromises very often).
Some time after I saw "Ulysses' Gaze" again, I also rewatched Angelopoulos' next film "Eternity and a Day" (199 which hadn't touched me the first time, and I found it to be a masterpiece. That was finally reason enough to leave out "Ulysses' Gaze" from my Top 10 till I've seen it again.

I also looove road movies. If you look at most of my favorite films they are either about voyage or about being stuck. Actually almost my whole Top 20 could fit into this description. But I think life is like that. Either you're flowing, or you have to learn it again. I would like to have a glimpse into my filmtastes after 40 years. I have only been watching films seriously for about seven years, and I still feel like an amateur.
A

Postby wpqx » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:52 pm

If you love road movies then by all means you must see Landscape in the Mist, especially considering you aready like Angelopoulos.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:03 pm

I know.
I'm currently working on persuading my colleagues at the cinema for an Angelopoulos retro in autumn. There are some prints available here, and I'm especially looking forward to "The Travelling Players" (1975).
A

Postby gratefultiger » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:28 am

i can also recommend "Landscape In The Mist" my top Angelopoulos film..cheers
gratefultiger

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations