Top Ten for the first half of 2006

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Top Ten for the first half of 2006

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:33 pm

"I also had this feeling with the other Dardenne's film I've seen, Le fils. I think it has something to do with the overall humanism I feel in these films, a sense that the persons portrayed are more like models and are interchangable, something like with Bresson."

Very much like Bresson. Dardennes' hold him in extremely high regard and rightfully owe much to him for their success. They have done the work to back up such a claim. And so it's disappointing to hear the term "Bressonian models" so casually thrown around nowadays by individuals who don't quite grasp it in conceptual terms.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:18 pm

The interesting thing is that with the characters in Bresson's films, they seem emptied in a way, while the Dardenne's use it in my opinion the other way around, as their characters are on the verge of explosion (Rosetta, Le fils). Somehow I had the feeling of Rosetta being a "remake" of Mouchette, though Mouchette is for me a more mysterious person. By chance I've read some fine articles and observations on the films of the Dardenne's recentlywhich describe my own reactions in a better way. But I don't seem to be as enthusiastic about them as a lot of people (Maybe after I see La Promesse and L'enfant )
Hmm, their titles are also very programatic.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:09 am

More pragmatic than the titles -- L'Argent, Pickpocket, Une femme douce -- of a few Bresson films?!
arsaib4

Postby A » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:10 am

Nah, the same. I probably meant that their titles are emblematic.
Oh, my english.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:42 am

Sorry, didn't mean to hold your feet to the fire.

Btw, I'm a little surprised that you haven't yet watched L'enfant. (Come to think of it, have you trevor and wpqx?) I've seen it twice at this point, and do plan to one more time in order to discern why an overwhelming majority isn't willing to consider it anything less than a masterpiece.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:43 am

Re: L'enfant

Although it was in the Chapter a month ago I was laid up with my foot, (just like last June). The dvd is due for release in a week or two so I'll catch it then but haven't built up any expectations.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:01 pm

Aye, it was playing here for a few weeks but for various reasons I can't remember I wasn't able to catch it (most likely too much work, not enough money/time). I know the US DVD release is coming soon as its already out in Canada I believe, still wondering why Rosetta isn't out on DVD, the only VHS I can find is fullscreen. Now of course I'll have to hold arsaib responsible if I wind up being one of those people who think its "anything less than a masterpiece".
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:59 pm

Actually, I'm one who doesn't think as highly of it as the majority, so I'll be more than happy to have some company.

L'enfant will be available on DVD on August 15th.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:49 am

Clean
Gabrielle
A Scanner Darkly
Somersault
Three Times
Triple Agent

Buffalo Boy
Le Chignon d'Olga
Exiles
The Forest for the Trees
Manderlay
Peep "TV" Show
Take My Eyes

*All 2006 U.S. Releases.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:19 pm

Clean had to be top of your list didn't it, what makes it really annoying is that it was due for U.K. release last week but not only is it not available for rental but it appears to be unavailable in any of the shops I've checked. I am hoping the release has been put back.

Glad to see 4 making your list as well, this was straight to dvd here so I didn't include it, some of the others are old news but terrific films (Somersault, Triple Agent, Le Chignon d'Olga & Take My Eyes) and some I'm waiting to see.

Overall a very interesting list and it certainly raises my expectations for Three Times which I'll definitely be seeing next month.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations