BEST OF 2004

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: BEST OF 2004

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:35 am

The Return was released in the U.S. during 2004.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:16 am

Ha ha ha

We used to have Les Choristes in our old foreignfilms.com.
I watched it at Mill Valley Film Festival.

Hmmm, maybe I will write the review again
(actually I did so just now ... but everything was erased because I did not type in the Subject ...
;(
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:41 am

arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:19 am

Like to add Vera Drake to my list, I figured I would. I've been in the process of listing all my films alphabetically and by year on my computer, since I have no internet connection, and I'm packing them all up anyways. Damn I have a lot of movies, a bunch of which I don't even remember watching. In the process I also forgot Team America, which certainly deserves an honorable mention.
wpqx

Postby mcdan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:32 am

There are many films mentioned in this thread that I have not seen yet - I know my list will change a good bit after I see some. I am currently renting "Spring, Summer..." and "5 x2".

1. House of Flying Daggers
2. The Machinist
3. Maria Full of Grace
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
5. Kill Bill Vol.2
6. Kinsey
7. The Woodsman
8. Bad Education
9. A Tale of Two Sisters
10.Les Choristes
---

mcdan
mcdan

Postby mcdan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:29 am

Just finished "5x2" so can add my two cents. (Not in the excellent critical response as those upthread, just my ideas.)

I did like the film and I have read many of the mixed reviews. Now I want to see "The Swimming Pool" which most reviews say is far superior.

It seemed the only way to film this movie was backwards to give us the odd "there is hope as the sunsets" spin ending while we know there is no hope for this relationship. It resonates that this is a beginning to a miserable end. They also do not touch in the final scene as they walk in the sea towards the sunset. The future is already written for this couple.

I can see why many dislike these characters but on the surface - wedding scenes, dinner party - they are just ordinary upper middle class people with secrets and silences that are only present as a strong undercurrent. It is a simple tale and not unlike what may be going on down the street in the next house in our own lives. They are perhaps "the perfect couple" that always surprises people when they announce the divorce.

So I liked the movie because it let the viewer do a lot of work thinking about these two people- likable or not. I see them more as vacant lost people unable to share a basic trust and respect for each other or themselves. Although the female seems to be on the verge of waking up and maturing as the film begins. She enters the elevator without turning around but facing the back mirror without raising her eyes to meet her image. (I liked her in "The Color of Lies.)

The scene that did not work for me was the unlikely American in the woods at the wedding scene. I see the point but it was a bit much. Also the husband hiding from the birth of his son and abandoning his wife. But she accepted it so again we must piece together the stitches that bind these sporatic tales together.

Enough. I am not a film critic or student as many of you. Just rambling my thoughts on this film. I'll go with I liked it but not in the top 10 for 2004. Top 20 yes.
mcdan

Postby trevor826 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:03 pm

A link to my initial comment on 5x2.

I'll try and dig out my 2004 list if I can find it.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:32 pm

Thanks for your comments, mcdan. It's always great to hear another opinion. (I'm a little surprised, however, that of all the films it's 5x2 that most of us have seen here.)

I had almost fogotten that Tedeschi was in The Color of Lies. Good film.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:36 pm

It's a bit of a shame that we only get into a deeper discussion when there's a big difference of opinion. Saying that, I didn't think much of Kill Bill 2, padded out to make 2 movies out of 1 concept or The Chorus, far too twee for me.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby A » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:53 am

I agree with you, bur probably the most interesting discussions spring from differencies. I didn't see the two films you mentioned, so I can't jump on that train.
A

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations