Best ever - What the fimmakers think

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best ever - What the fimmakers think

Postby Anasazie » Tue May 23, 2006 12:39 am

@ Mad....

I'm not so sure about your comments on Quentin. He makes pretty bad films and "homages" pretty bad films so i'm sure they really are his 10 favourites.

@ A...

Everybody's list is individual! Do you like everybody's list for the same reason?

@ WP.

None of Haneke's choices would be on my list as I'd punt for different films by Rossellini, Tarkovsky, Bresson, Pasolini, Cassavetes & Bunuel. Nothing by Hitchcock or Chaplin would be close.

I'm always going on about the Bresson influence in Haneke and it's nice to see i've been very right all along.

@ everybody.

Let's remember that film-makers are walkers and not talkers so there lists wouldn't be anywhere near as comprehensive the critics'

I like Clara Law's and Ann Hui's though.
Anasazie

Postby jcdavies » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:41 am

No surprise QT's list is quite trashy.

A pity S+S polled such a high percentage of (often 3rd-rate) British and American directors, overlooked the list of international directors i sent them to try! They were keeping to their own list, don't know how it was compiled, but lots of notable absentees; i'd have been especially interested to see a 10 by Manoel de Oliveira. And the curent views of the old French new wave stalwarts like Rivette, Rohmer and Godard who of course all really know their international cinema, whereas with many directors polled- as Anasazie says- that's probably not the case. Satyajit Ray and Mizoguchi are sadly under-represented in US directors' lists.
jcdavies

Postby collectedsoul » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:51 pm

What is so special about Raging Bull...I've never quite understood all the acclaim...I didnt even manage to sit through the whole thing. There was nothing very compelling about the character. Is it because its an American black and white in the time of colour?
collectedsoul

Postby wpqx » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:38 am

Oh good lord. Raging Bull is not only exemplary as a textbook highwater mark of method acting, it is also a marvel of cinematic ingenuity. The exaggerated and expersionistic sound effects, the alternating styles in every fight, and just the absolute disintigration of the one time great. I've seen it three times at least and think it a masterpiece and quite possibly Scorsese's best (which is saying a lot considering my near obsession with his work). De Niro alone is worth sitting through ALL of the movie. It does help if you're into boxing as well.
wpqx

Postby collectedsoul » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:26 am

nah...cinematic ingenuity cannot cover up for a dull story of a boxer's demise...besides i have a low opinion of the 'sport' of boxing which is why I couldnt begin to care about the character...and it was a very character driven film.
collectedsoul

Postby wpqx » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:51 pm

Well then we'll have to disagree then.
wpqx

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations