Shakespeare films?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Shakespeare films?

Postby Unregistered(d) » Wed May 03, 2006 12:20 pm

Which films are must see adaptations, and which ones are not worth the bother?
English language + foreign?
Unregistered(d)

Re: Shakespeare films?

Postby madhuban » Wed May 03, 2006 3:13 pm

I was about to put down a long list of "must-see" Shakespeareana when I had this wild idea. The order is very important here.

1. Olivier's "Hamlet" followed by Kaurismaki's "Hamlet Goes Business"
2. Kozintsev's "King Lear" followed by Kurosawa's "Ran" followed by Godard's "King Lear"
3. Kurosawa's "Throne of Blood" followed by Polanski's "Macbeth" followed by Vishal Bharadwaj's "Maqbool"
4. Jarman's "The Tempest" followed by Greenaway's "Prospero's Books"

M
madhuban

Postby arsaib4 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:06 pm

I second Madhuban's #1, 2, and 3.
arsaib4

Postby A » Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 pm

I'd also suggest Hamlet by Kenneth Branagh (1996). But you have to watch the full 4 hour version, of course!
Maybe you can put it between Olivier's and Kaurismki's.
A

Postby wpqx » Fri May 05, 2006 3:38 pm

I preferred Brannagh's Henry V to Olivier's. As for Olivier I'd strongly recommend Richard III, it's shot like a cheap stage production, but the acting is the best Olivier's ever done on screen.

I haven't actually seen Welles' Macbeth, but I did love his Othello, and flawed as it might be, his Chimes at Midnight is worth checking out (if you can find the damn thing).

Now I might get flack for this but @#%$ it, I loved Franco Zefferelli's Romeo and Juliet (1968), it is by far my favorite Shakespeare adaptation.

As for the don't bother section. Avoid at all costs the 1935 Warner Bros. production of a Midsummer Night's Dream, an abysmally bad Mickey Rooney makes the case for the worst performance in film, let alone the worst in a Shakespeare story.
wpqx

Postby jcdavies » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:31 am

Othello (Welles)
King Lear (Kozintsev)
Throne of Blood (Kurosawa)
Ran (Kurosawa)
Hamlet (Olivier)
Titus (Taymor)
Henry V (Branagh)
+
Prospero's Books (Greenaway) is an interesting take on The Tempest.
jcdavies

Postby collectedsoul » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:14 pm

Wonder if any of you have seen two recent Indian films - both by director Vishal Bharadwaj - one of them 'Maqbool' is based on Macbeth and the other just released 'Omkara' based on Othello. Just saw Omkara a few days back...quite liked it in the end...it has some of the excesses given to Bollywood films but surprisingly these excesses work quite well given that it is a Shakespeare tragedy and the setting is so colourful - the film is set in UP - in the midst of a corrupt and violent region.
collectedsoul

Return to Lists and Recommendations