Your top 10 foreign language films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Your top 10 foreign language films

Postby Johndav » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:20 pm

1.Sansho the Bailiff
2.Mirror
3.Andrei Rublev
4.The Green Ray/ Summer
5.Maborosi
6.Celine and Julie go Boating
7.L'Avventura
8.Alice in the Cities
9.Rules of the Game
10.Tales of the Taira Clan
+
Seven Samurai
Tokyo Story
Pather Panchali
Story of the Late Chrysanthemums
Abraham Valley
Pierrot le Fou
The Colour of Pomegranates
8 1/2
Ugetsu Monogatari
A Day in the Country
Johndav

Postby trevor826 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:34 pm

Johndav, could it be? aka Mizoguchi, aka john5 aka John Davies?

Looking at your list, you must be one and the same. Welcome back.

Sorry, didn't see your French top 10 post, as I'm sure you'll realise if you look at the "Where are they now?" thread, you've been missed.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby Johndav » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:06 pm

Hi to my compatriot- even if i am now in France! Portugal was the most wonderful place but the house-buying didn't work out (financial disaster), so after retreating to UK we ended up here and i've only now got a new laptop. Did get to see the location of Oliveira's masterpiece Abraham Valley in the stunning Douro valley, though, but my feelings now towards the film will be bitter-sweet for a while. From Wales, I'm missing the Brecon-Monmouth canal most. Oh happy walks and boating hols there.
Johndav

Postby trevor826 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems but I know I won't be the only one who'll be "gwlad" to see you back.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:25 am

Absolutely. It's great to have you back, John; I'm glad that you remembered us.
arsaib4

Postby Johndav » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:42 am

Thanks so much to you both. I only wish i could contribute some new exciting stuff but i'm miles (or should that now be kilometres?) behind with viewing this year so for a while i'll be a bit predictable. We've certainly had incredible ups + downs this year, but somehow it's been fantastic in getting us out of a rut. And i'm trying to get used to the idea of life being more about experiences than just the goal of happiness. Like a good novel i suppose?

A: Murakami's Tokyo Decadence: i didn't think it was a patch on Haruki Murakami's masterpiece novel The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, and i see the usually very admirable Geoff Andrew gives it a pasting in Time Out film guide. May make an interesting double bill with Ai no Corrida? I noticed it first in a couple of top 10's in a Time Out poll several years back. It's glossy and quite disturbing i suppose (my memory's a bit vague) and i'd be interested in why you rate it so highly, and i'll certainly have to take another look.
Johndav

Postby A » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:04 pm

Hi John
Though I like reading Goeff Andrew, I disagrre with him. For me this is the best Japanese film of the 90s I`ve seen so far, and an astonishing film by novelist Ryu Murakami. As far as I know, it`s based on a novel of his, and after reading his debut "Almost transparent blue" from the 70s just recently, I must read and see more from this man. The film is a case study of alienation and isolation in our postmodern era. A young girl in Tokyo that works as a prostitute and is still "in love" with her former boyfriend who left her. You mainly watch her wandering around, and doing her job, but it`s all in the atmosphere the glances, and the protagonists superb introverted performance. As in his book Murakami is a master in visual storytelling, giving life to almost every object, to me similar to the way Borowczyk worked.
Can`t write more now, but I only saw a butchered and dubbed 90min. copy, but the impact was still very heavy..
If I get to rewatch it I`ll write more.
A

Postby hengcs » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:40 am

welcome back Johndav
hengcs

Postby Anasazie » Mon May 08, 2006 3:54 am

1 per director and i could only get it down to 11. Chrono order....

Pais (1946) - Rossellini
Journal d'un cur de campagne (1951) - Bresson
Tokyo monogatari (1953) - Ozu
L'Avventura (1960) - Antononioni
Vivre sa vie (1963) - Godard
Teorema (1968) - Pasolini
Il Conformista (1970) - Bertolucci
Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972) - Herzog
Stalker (1979) - Tarkovsky
Sans soleil (1983) - Marker
La Belle noiseuse (1991) - Rivette

Only 3 that aren't french or italian, strange. It's a dull list.

I don't class The Last Laugh as any language because it has no inter-titles, otherwise it'd be on this list.
Anasazie

Postby wpqx » Mon May 08, 2006 2:33 pm

In your defense Anasazie, top ten lists rarely if ever offer a comprehensive view of cinematic tastes. I'm surprised you liked Paisa so much, seems like that along with most Neo-Realist films would be too obvious and manipulative for your tastes. Likewise the Pasolini was a bit of a surprise, and embarassingly it's one of about 3 films of his I haven't yet seen.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Lists and Recommendations