Good war films featuring children

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Good war films featuring children

Postby Sara » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Having just seen Ivan's Childhood (Tarkovsky), The Two of Us, and Goodnight Mr. Tom , I feel inspired to ask if we can make a list of other war films that feature children.

There are many.

Of course Come and See. (Russian)
Au Revoir, Les Enfants (French)
Empire of the Sun
Forbidden Games (1952)

I have not elaborated on any of these except I want to say that The Two of Us features that wonderful old man who played in Renoir's Boudu Saved from Drowning. Both this film (The Two of Us) and Goodnight Mr. Tom give a heartwarming picture of a young boy in the war given to the care of an older man.

There are so many films about children in war time. Any war. Any child. Please let's make a good list and amplify it.

Sara
Sara

Re: Good war films featuring children

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:53 pm

It's been a few years but wasn't there some youngin's in Lacombe Lucien? I'm drawing a surprising blank here despite the fact that there are like a billion of them.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:36 am

Let's see: Rossellini's Germany Year Zero, Ozu's Record of a Tenement Gentleman, Stevens' The Diary of Anne Frank, Schlöndorff's The Tin Drum, Holland's Europa Europa...

There's certainly no lack of them.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:38 am

I would like to remove Diary of Anne Frank from the record that movie was utter garbage and I would never recommend it to anyone.
wpqx

Postby Sara » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:03 am

I thought of two more:

Hope and Glory
Life is Beautiful

Sara
Sara

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:19 pm

One more: Kinoshita's Twenty-Four Eyes -- being released by Criterion on August 19. I think you'll like it, Sara.
arsaib4

Postby Sara » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:22 am

I was unaware of this film. I just looked it up on Criterion's release schedule and read about it. It looks like something I'd like to see.

Thanks,

Sara
Sara

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:31 pm

The best Japanese film I've seen about the war and children is probably Grave of the Fireflies, but even I'm guilty of forgetting animated films.
wpqx

Postby Sara » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Yes! You are right. Thanks for reminding us of this beautiful, poignant animated film. A real gem.

Sara
Sara

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:01 am

Sara wrote:

I was unaware of this film. I just looked it up on Criterion's release schedule and read about it. It looks like something I'd like to see.

Thanks,

Sara

Great. And please feel free to add any comments to this thread I started a few months ago on Ms. Takamine, perhaps the classic film actress I admire the most.
arsaib4

Return to Lists and Recommendations