I'd rather talk about 'favorites'

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

I'd rather talk about 'favorites'

Postby dan-2 » Mon May 22, 2000 8:57 pm

Easily, my favorite foreign film is Jacques Prevert's The Children of Paradise. Luckily, it's also a very long film, but it leaves so much room for interpretation and, dare I say it, inspiration. The acting, for one thing, is probably the best you'll find in any other film, then or now: Barrault is especially brilliant as Baptiste, the speechless wisp of smoke in love with the all-too corporeal Garance. An incredible film, unprecedented, miraculous!
dan-2

Re: I'd rather talk about 'favorites'

Postby 4seam » Sat Aug 05, 2000 3:50 am

Speaking of inspiration, one of most inspiring film I've seen was Jean Vigo's L'Atalante. It has a lot of exprimental aspect yet very accomplished masterpiece.Too bad he died only at age of 29.
4seam

Postby 4seam » Sat Aug 05, 2000 4:26 am

Speaking of inspiration, one of most inspiring film I've seen was Jean Vigo's L'Atalante. It has a lot of exprimental aspect yet very accomplished masterpiece.Too bad he died only at age of 29.
4seam

Postby heather » Tue Nov 21, 2000 4:59 pm

*The Mother & the Whore* (J.Eustache)
*Dancer in the Dark* (L.Von Trier)
*L'Atalante* (J.Vigo)
*Rashomon* (Kurosawa)
*Children of Paradise* (Prevert)
*My Life to Live* (Godard)
heather

Postby mikobandong » Thu Dec 28, 2000 8:30 pm

One of the best films I watched is The Conformist by Bernardo Bertolucci. However, I find it hard to rank Bertolucci among my 10 best filmmakers. My top 5 favorite films: Andrei Rublev, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Pather Panchali, The Bicycle Thief & The Conformist.
mikobandong

Postby patti5 » Tue Jan 16, 2001 5:05 pm

Patti's top five foreign films of all time:
1. 8 1/2. Fabulous, creative, spiritual non-linear masterpiece. Among the best uses of cinematic tecnique of all time.
2. Rashamon. Magnificent photograpy, acting, moving and spiritual, very inspring.
3. Seventh Seal. Deep exploration into life and Death. Loving look at the simple folk, understand of the nobility, and above all,
a courageous look at the fear of death, and the escape of those sweet little people at the end, who will get it later anyway. But I do love the man's(actor's) little escape, and the joyous feeling at the end.
4. Winter Light. Unremmitingly bleak. I love it. (No sentimentality, that's for sure.)
5. Cries and Whispers. Magnificently acted, fearless in showing the pain of death, family discord, yet there's that slight Bergman redemption of a happy family memory in the end(similar to the old man's memories in Wild Strawberries.)

I appreciate your questions, comments on any of these. Thanks, have been dying toshare my favorites.
patti5

Postby timofeevna » Fri Jan 19, 2001 2:56 pm

I always thought that The Children of Paradise was Marcel Carne's not Jacques Prevert's film.
timofeevna

Postby heatherfrank » Thu Jan 25, 2001 7:28 pm

Children of Paradise is by Marcel Carne!
heatherfrank

Postby Vox » Tue Jan 30, 2001 8:31 am

"Les enfants du Paradis" is definately by Carné and finally has been released again recently both on video and DVD, so enjoy, because its arguably the best French movie ever made.
Vox

Postby john-5 » Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:07 pm

To be fair to Dan-2 and Heather,Jacques Prevert scripted Children of Paradise,along with other famous Carne films-Le Jour se Leve and Quai des Brumes..He was also a well-known poet.
john-5

Return to Lists and Recommendations