Most Felliniesque film by Fellini or any other director

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Most Felliniesque film by Fellini or any other director

Postby mikobandong » Thu Dec 28, 2000 2:13 pm

And The Ship Sails On. Even the names of the characters are Felliniesque! - Ildebranda Cuffari, Edmea Tetua, Brenda Hilton, etc. and what about the Principesa? - a monumental icon to Fellini.

Runners-up: 8 1/2 and Pasolini's Salo (Morricone's score is Nino Rotaish).
mikobandong

Re: Most Felliniesque film by Fellini or any other director

Postby patti5 » Tue Jan 16, 2001 4:51 pm

My favorite Fellini film, and also my favorite foreign movie of all time is 8 1/2. I love movies that are non-linear and often withour a definite plot,
also ones that are spiritual and cerebral. 8 1/2 is the best of all times because it goes inside the diretor's head, and does not
offer any easy answers, just explores his ideas, fantasies and feelings. The clowns coming on at the end, and the circular "dance of life" at the end
are a source of great inspiration to me, both creatively and spiritually.
patti5

Postby mikobandong » Thu Jan 18, 2001 7:40 pm

hi patti5. I also think that the clown scene at the end is one of the best endings in cinema! 8 1/2 is a film that would seem fresh even at this age. And what about Wagner and Verdi supplementing Nino Rota's magical score? I also find it amusing that you, like me, list 8 1/2 among your top films which includes several Bergman films. My list includes 8 1/2, Passion of Anna and Wild Strawberries and it strikes me as odd because Fellini's characters are generally shallow, self-absorbed and indulgent as opposed to Bergman's deep, sensitive and spiritual. One of Woody Allen's characters (which probably echoes his own opinion)in Annie Hall thought that Fellini was just a highly technical director. Whether this is true or not, he is one of cinema's greatest (8 1/2 is definitely his best) and his films are always a sensational experience.
mikobandong

Postby timofeevna » Fri Jan 19, 2001 2:55 pm

The most Felliniesque films by another director are Underground and Black Cat, White Cat.
timofeevna

Postby Tony Block » Sat Jan 20, 2001 1:03 am

SANTA SANGRE by Jodorowsky
Tony Block

Postby Vox » Tue Jan 30, 2001 8:37 am

Well I'd say that to choose a "most Felliniesque" movie, I'd have to choose a movie by the man himself, but the problem is what one should consider "Felliniesque"? I can hardly say that onbe movie of his is more like him than another, because he obviously made both, so I'll limit the question to what is my favourite Fellini, which to me is "Amarcord", closely followed by "Prova d'Orchestra". I do not care for his late movies like "E la nave va" or "Ginger e Fred", but then again, Fellini never was my favourite Italian director, even though I recognize his genius.
Vox

Postby firetree65 » Tue Jan 30, 2001 7:29 pm

By Fellini -- That would be Satyricon. Although Satyricon is probably Fellini's most unique film (that some may brand it as un-Felliniesque), it is also his most whimsical and possibly most extreme. Runner-up: Juliet of the Spirits.

By another director/s -- my list would include Lina Wertmuller's "Seven Beauties" and "Love and Anarchy"; Pasolini's "Salo" (despite its explicitness, this is a visual Fellini feast). I wanted to include Antonioni's "L'avventura" and Fassbinder's "In the Night of Thirteen Moons" but these would deserve another list. What about the most Antonionian, Fassbinderian or Almodovarian film? Or maybe the most Bergmanesque? Aha, what about the most Resnaish? That would be a challenge.
firetree65

Return to Lists and Recommendations