Eine Kleine Filmliste (Just for Fun)

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Eine Kleine Filmliste (Just for Fun)

Postby simona1976 » Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:38 am

BUrnt by the Sun by Nikita Mikhalkov is incredible! It should be added to the list of great films made!
simona1976

Postby wvq » Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:18 pm

It's been quite a while since I wrote this, and maybe I ought to do some revising.

Sadly, I can't say that I've seen much over the past year or so that I think deserves a spot on this list. The only thing I can think of that comes close is Akerman's Jeanne Dielman, which I've seen only once but found very affecting and intellectually stimulating. (Of other films I've seen in the same time period, I'd say Ivens's New Earth, Fuller's Park Row, Tati's Jour de Fete, Oshima's The Sun's Burial, and Mizoguchi's The Crucified Lovers and Tales of the Taira Clan have been particularly impressive, although none of them were THAT impressive.)

But I do have a couple of films to add which I simply forgot the last time around, namely, Powell's Peeping Tom and Kubrick's 2001. (I'm a bit conflicted on the Kubrick: for some time, it was a personal favorite of mine, but I've grown to have reservations about it and haven't seen it in a while. Perhaps I'll replace it with Barry Lyndon, another favorite of mine, when I get around to watching that again; or, maybe I'll finally get a chance to see 2001 on the big screen, and my current reservations will reveal themselves to be groundless. Who knows.)

I don't have a lot to say concerning the films and filmmakers already on my list. I might add Dreyer's Day of Wrath now, as it has grown on me over time. And I've recently acquired a copy of Feuillade's Fantomas, so that might be deserving of a spot up there soon enough.

Other than those rather limited matters, this list still looks all right.
wvq

Postby wvq » Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:32 pm

Having just perused the replies to my original message again, I realized that I forgot something: I'd like to amend my Fassbinder selections by replacing Effi Briest with The Merchant of the Four Seasons, which I had only recent seen when I first made this list and which has subsequently grown on me. (By the way, Fox and His Friends is still my favorite Fassbinder.)

(Oh, and I suppose my brief comment about Kuhle Wampe being "better than they'd have you believe" might have been a bit confusing. No, I don't think there is some right-wing cabal out there plotting to ensure that the film doesn't grow in critical stature or anything like that. I'm not quite that paranoid about the reasons behind the lack of critical standing for some of my favorite films. I just think the film deserves (a good deal) more critical attention than it has gotten; that's all.)
wvq

Postby john-5 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:12 pm

Thanks for some interesting recommendations. Of course i agree about the 2 Mizoguchi you mentioned. Tales of the Taira Clan is greatly underrated; the colours are like jewels, the compositions masterful as ever, there's a lovely little romance, and the scene with the monks' torchlit procession through the forest is (for me) like a dream or some vague childhood memory. I only wish Chikamatsu Monogatari were available on video so i could see it again at leisure.

I'll look out for the Oshima and Ivens films. Day of Wrath has grown on me too, and good to see Barry Lyndon's improved reputation (it's in far more critics' top 10's these days, i've noticed).
john-5

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:40 am

Your choice of Stalker from Tarkovsky intrigues me. Personally I would have gone for Solaris, Andrei Rublev, The Mirror, Nostalghia, and Ivan's Childhood before that, but to each his own. I must also add that you can lick a sack for your views on Bergman and Fellini. Both of those men are responsible for some of the greatest films in movie history. In direct retalliation I will counter your choices with a second opinion.
Dryer: Passion of Joan of Arc
Lang: M (Good choice)
Ozu: Tokyo Story
Godard: The Weekend
Bunuel: The Exterminating Angel
Mizoguchi: Ugetsu
Tarkovsky: Solaris
Vertov: The Man with the Movie Camera
De Sica: Bicycle Thief
Bresson: A Man Escaped
Renoir: Grand Illusion
Fassbinder: Marriage of Maria Braun
Eisenstein: Potemkin (Sorry for the boring choice)

As for your American choices. . .

Welles: Citizen Kane
Laughton: The Night of the Hunter
Lubitsch: Heaven Can Wait
Romero: Dawn of the Dead
von Stroheim: Greed
Murnau: Faust
Hawks: To Have and Have Not
Polonsky: Force of Evil

Theres a few you left out on both ends, but I won't be too difficult.

wpqx

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations