Best performance by a child?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best performance by a child?

Postby john-5 » Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:56 pm

My own choices would be :Ana Torent,in Spirit of the Beehive(Erice,Spain,1973), Yella Rottlander,in Alice in the Cities(Wenders,Germany,1974),closely followed by Aida Mohammadkhani,in The White Balloon(Panahi,Iran,1995).All three seem extremely believable,natural and touching.Ivan's Childhood, Ma Vie en Rose, Toto le Heros, Central Station, Fanny and Alexander, My Life as a Dog, Kikujiro and Ponette also come to mind as enjoyable films about children with fine central performances.
What would be your nominations?
john-5

Re: Best performance by a child?

Postby Ockien » Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:36 am

Howabout Kolya.
Ockien

Postby Ockien » Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:45 am

And Life Is Beautiful and 400 Blows.
Ockien

Postby HASSELBAINK007 » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:42 pm

Victoire Thivisol can`t spell it properly never seen anything as good as her in Ponette what an incredible film.I See she popped up again recently as Juliette Binoche`s Daughter in Chocolat another good performance,if a little older now.The French Directors have a sensational way of working with Children in Cinema,I Agree with Torent in the Beehive as well.
HASSELBAINK007

Postby shoehorn » Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:07 am

I don't know the names of all the children (and am too lazy to look them up) but here are my choices for the films with best performances by children:

Leolo, Canada, 1992
Apu Trilogy, India, 1955-59
The Great Adventure, Sweden, 1953
The Red Balloon, France, 1956
Forbidden Games, France, 1952
Stolen Children, italy, 1994
A Place in the World, Argentina, 1992
Boot Polish, India, 1954
Sundays and Cybele, France, 1962
Kes, UK, 1969
The Long Day Closes, UK, 1992
The Search, US, 1948
Man in the Moon, US, 1991
Color of Paradise, Iran, 1999
Pixote, Brazil, 1981
How Green Was My Valley, US, 1941
ET, US, 1982
The Wild Child, France, 1969
The Bicycle Thief, italy, 1948
Where is the Friend's Home, Iran, 1988

shoehorn

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Mar 27, 2002 9:23 pm

bridget fossey in forbidden games is the best performance i've seen from a child in a foreign film,also ivans childhood is a great performance.cheers from oz
ps those iranian kids are great too.
gratefultiger

Postby doug9732 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:00 am

Haley Joel Osment gave a superb performance in "AI".
doug9732

Postby ananda » Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:16 am

Has anyone seen 'Liam'? The kid is good. Sorry I do not know his name,

But I have to give thumbs up to the kids in 'Children of Heaven'. They carried the whole movie on their shoulders. Simply beautiful and convincing.

Haley Joel Osment is a good actor. I would watch any movie just to admire his skill.
ananda

Postby gimferrer » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:52 am

1-The Bycicle Thives is by far the best performabce a child has done! He wasn't even an actor nor had any experience!

2- 400 Blows: Jean Pierre Leod was so convincing because most of the lines came from him! amazing film!

3- Ponette: a little girl than loses her mother and how she deals with that loss, from a point of view of herself and not an adult! amazing!

gimferrer

Postby john-5 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:55 am

Hola, mia amiga!! Great choices; i should certainly have mentioned the first two (just rushed out the first ones that came to mind). Probably the best films either director did, and you're right about the child performances. And Ponette seems so real.
john-5

Next

Return to Lists and Recommendations