Best Indian Films?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best Indian Films?

Postby john-5 » Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:58 am

What are the best-ever Indian Films?Here are my suggestions(some i've seen,some i've only read about),arranged by director:
Satyajit Ray:Apu Trilogy.Charualata.The Music Room.Days and Nights in the Forest.Home and the World.
Ghatak:Cloud-Capped Star.A River called Titash.Reason,Debate and a Tale.Ajantrik.
Dutt:Pyaasa.Paper Flowers.
Nair:Monsoon Wedding.Salaam Bombay.
Sen:Bhuvan Shome
Benegal:Junoon.The Seedling.
Mehbob Khan:Mother India
Karnad:The Forest
Damle,Fattelal:Sant Tukaram
Raj Kapoor:Awara.Bobby.
Shekhar Kapoor:Bandit Queen
Chopra:Dilwale Dulhaniya le Jayenge
Roy:Two Acres of Land.
Johar:Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Comments/observations/other suggestions please.I'd be particularly interested in any views on Cloud-Capped Star(1960)by Ritwik Ghatak,which our local Film Society in Wales screened recently,and which polarised opinion.It's regarded by many critics as a classic,but several in the audience thought it the worst film we've shown.I thought it was visually brilliant but could understand the irritation with the brother's singing(it had the guy next to me grimacing)and the less subtle acting.
From the films i've seen,i'd have to say the Apu Trilogy(1955-9)deserves its reputation as India's best.Sholay(1975)and Mother India(1956)were huge successes.Guru Dutt's Pyaasa(1957)is apparently one of the very best.I enjoyed Monsoon Wedding(2001,Venice Golden Lion)more as it went on;extremely colourful and deeper than first impressions led me to expect.

Re: Best Indian Films?

Postby pddillon » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:52 pm

well not sure which are best but i do know that the terrorist from india wasnt not what i thought it was going to be,I rated it poor.

Postby emailcharu2003 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:01 pm

There is one more movie that I loved. Its called 'Ijaazat'. Its a Gulzar movie starring Rekha and Nasrudeen Shah.

Postby wpqx1 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:28 am

I am finding it odd that I am the only person I know that can't stand Bollywood garbage. The films are far too formulaic, long, and irritating. As for the rest I say go with Ray, and my personal favorite of his would be the Middleman.

Return to Lists and Recommendations