Great Directors' 10 best films:Hitchcock

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Great Directors' 10 best films:Hitchcock

Postby john-5 » Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:50 am

Hitchcock's 10 best?
The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Notorious
Rear Window
Vertigo
North by North West
Psycho
The Birds
Marnie
Also:Blackmail,Foreign Correspondent,Suspicion,Shadow of a Doubt,Spellbound,Strangers on a Train.(Yes,i know Marnie may be the most surprising but i happen to think it's his most underrated.)
john-5

Re: Great Directors' 10 best films:Hitchcock

Postby katsuben » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:53 am

I think I've mentioned before that Young and Innocent is also underrated. But a Hitch list is not so hard, huh? Although I've heard rumblings about the strengths of The Paradine Case (will check this out and post back an opinion). The Trouble With Harry remains fixed in my head. Foreign Correspondent drives me nuts: windmills, how can you not love them?
katsuben

Postby katsuben » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:55 am

Spellbound is loathesome. I'm not sure if it's worse than Rich and Strange, but the only saving grace is the POV gun shot (which is utterly ridiculous).
katsuben

Postby saji1986 » Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:08 pm

1. Vertigo
2. Rear Window
3. Rebecca
4. Notorious
5. North By Northwest
6. The 39 Steps
7. Shadow of a Doubt
8. The Lady Vanishes
9. Strangers on a Train
10. Dial M for Murder
saji1986

Postby jasonrichardsmith » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:24 pm

I cannot believe no one included "Rope." What the hell is wrong with you people.
jasonrichardsmith

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:05 am

My 10 personal favs:

Vertigo
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Saboteur
Rear Window
Dial M for Murder
The Man Who Knew too Much
Spellbound
Notorious
To Catch a Thief
bigpoppa_2059

Postby admin-2 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 10:52 am

In order
1/ VERTIGO
2/ SHADOW OF A DOUBT
3/ THE LADY VANISHES
4/ STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
5/ NOTORIOUS
6/ NORTH BY NORTHWEST
7/ THE LODGER
8/ MARNIE
9/ FRENZY
10/ THE 39 STEPS
admin-2

Postby katsuben » Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:09 pm

in order, i guess:

Vertigo
Psycho
The Birds
North by Northwest
Rear Window
The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Notorious
Marnie
The Trouble with Harry
katsuben

Postby gimferrer » Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:13 pm

1-North By Northwest

2-Notorius

3-39 Steps

4-Rebecca

5-Strangers on a Train

and as much as people praise Vertigo I don't like it much, it's Jammie Stweard, I just don't like him at all nor Kim Novak either! I dunno why!

gimferrer

Postby wvq » Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:19 pm

Here you go, gentlemen (and in preferential order no less):

1. Vertigo
2. Rear Window
3. The Wrong Man
4. Shadow of a Doubt
5. Rope
6. Psycho
7. Sabotage
8. North by Northwest
9. Frenzy
10. Family Plot

I'll admit that the last few of these are fairly unprincipled choices. I think they're quite good, but I can't say that they wouldn't be replaced by something else on another day.

By the way, I think the first two of these stand head-and-shoulders above the rest.

I only have one question for the lot of you: Do you really think that Rebecca is that good? I admit it's eminently watchable, and it's hard not to take great pleasure in watching the preternaturally cute Joan Fontaine, but is there really that much going on here? Maybe I'm just constitutionally incapable of appreciating any work prefaced by the words "A David O. Selznick Production." (Spellbound, anyone? The Paradine Case? Need I say more?)

Here's a bonus Hitchcock list for you. I haven't seen every Hitchcock, and I have a sense that given what I haven't seen yet, this list may be growing some in the near future. Let's call this The Execrable List:

1. The Paradine Case (I told you I disliked Selznick.)
2. Spellbound (Ditto, although this one gets a bit of a boost from the Bergman performance, or maybe I was just disposed to find the experience more pleasurable, since her presence brought to mind her Rossellini films.)
3. Number 17 (I saw it in a bad print, but if it was worth seeing, something more would have gotten through to me.)
4. Topaz (Not execrable really, but I didn't think a list of three items was really worth posting. But four--now that's something.)
wvq

Return to Lists and Recommendations