Great Genre's 10 best films:Avant Garde

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Great Genre's 10 best films:Avant Garde

Postby somegreatmovies » Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:06 pm

Window Water Baby Moving
The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes
Outer and Inner Space
Jollies
Castro Street
This Is It
Nissan Ariana Window
Fireworks
The Back Steps
Unsere Afrikareise
somegreatmovies

Re: Great Genre's 10 best films:Avant Garde

Postby john-5 » Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:28 pm

Pleased you've raised this subject,somegreatmovies.I only wish avant-garde films were more widely available.I particularly enjoyed the Quay brothers' weird short animation Street of Crocodiles(influenced by Svankmajer and Eastern European cinema).Their feature-length Institute Benjamenta has a luminous beauty.Anger's Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome is repetitive,garish and bombastic but visually exciting.Len Lye did some very interesting and original work in Britain in the 30's;Colour Box,Birth of the Robot etc.Similarly Norman McLaren in Canada.I suppose Bunuel(Un Chien Andalou etc)has become mainstream avant-garde.Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon(quite eerie)was highly influential for post-war American experimental films.There's also Michael Snow:Wavelength etc.I've not seen Brakhage's Scenes from Under Childhood,which i know is admired by many.I enjoyed some Man Ray shorts-Etoile de Mer,and The Mysteries of the Castle of Dice-also Le Ballet Mecanique(Leger).Svankmajer's animations(Dimensions of Dialogue..)and live action combinations(Conspirators of Pleasure,Alice etc)are eccentric,well worth trying.Chelsea Girls(Warhol)and Scorpio Rising(Anger)are famous,but i wasn't over-impressed.I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject,have yet to see avant-garde classics Film about a Woman Who(Rainer),Zorn's Lemma(Frampton)and Tom Tom the Piper's Son(Jacobs).Would be extremely interested in opinions.Man with a Movie Camera (Vertov)might be described as avant-garde,though for many it's now become too much a mainstream part of cinema history to properly qualify,like early Bunuel,and Cocteau(Orphee etc) - anyway,it's tremendous.Definitions are difficult.
john-5

Postby somegreatmovies » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:41 pm

Yeah... I'm somewhat of a dilettante when it come to avant garde cinema... I know the names and films, but I've seen way too few to make a good list... I was really just goofing around... hopefully this summer living in NYC, I'll be able to speak with somewhat more authority.

...and yes, I should have included Meshes (don't know what I was thinking).
somegreatmovies

Postby somegreatmovies » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:10 am

revised list:
Window Water Baby Moving
The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes
Outer and Inner Space
Jollies
Meshes of the Afternoon
This Is It
Nissan Ariana Window
Fireworks
In the Street
Unsere Afrikareise
somegreatmovies

Postby john-5 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:27 am

Dog Star Man(Brakhage,1964)is very important.I saw part of Touki Bouki(Mambety,1973),usually called the first African short,and was impressed.From Pole to Equator(Gianikian,1986)ia an interesting use of early travelogue footage.I'd like to see the Brazilian film Isle of Flowers(Furtado,1989),which sounds exciting,innovative and politically challenging,and has a very high average score on the Internet Movie Database.Anyone seen it?
john-5

Return to Lists and Recommendations