Great Directors' 10 Best: Russell

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Great Directors' 10 Best: Russell

Postby Mr. West » Mon May 06, 2002 8:03 pm

Actually, the last 3 or 4 on this list are a little lack-lustre, but I refuse to list 'Women in Love' or 'Altered States'! (sorry, they're not my favorites):

1. The Devils
2. Savage Messiah
3. Mahler
4. Dante's Inferno
5. The Music Lovers
6. Valentino
7. Crimes of Passion
8. Lisztomania
9. Tommy
10. Lair of the White Worm
Mr. West

Re: Great Directors' 10 Best: Russell

Postby esackman » Wed May 08, 2002 9:54 pm

It is good to see Russell get some acknowledgment, as I consider him one of the most underrated directors in films today. Though, actually, I can't come up with a list of 10, because I have
only seen 12 of his films, 8 films , which I liked. They are in the order that I liked them . . .
1. Lair of the White Worm
2. Tommy
3. Altered States
4. Women in Love
5. Music Lovers
6. Devils
7. Aria
8. Valentino
and 4 of his films which I disliked. And they are in order from least disliked to most disliked . . .
4. Women and Men: Stories of Seduction
3. Salome's Last Dance
2. Gothic
1. Billion Dollar Brain
As for "Lair of the White Worm," it is not is best film, he has done better, but it is his most underrated. It is such a multi-layered film, that even his fans tend to underrate it. It has to be seen multiple times to appreciate all that it contains.

6. Aria
esackman

Postby Mr. West » Thu May 09, 2002 11:36 am

Ah, you listed 'Altered States'...

I just can't get into that one. It just seems like Spielberg crap to me. For a director who made the brilliant 'The Devils' nine years before, I find 'Altered States' pretty disappointing. After seeing 'The Devils' and 'Savage Messiah,' though, I guess I had some very tall expectations...
Mr. West

Postby esackman » Thu May 09, 2002 7:53 pm

No need to apologize for not liking "Altered States." It is just good to see someone else who likes Russell. A much neglected director. What he can do with lights--both artifical and natural--to light a scene. No one is his equal, unless it is David Lynch. That is why I think I like "Altered States" so. It is the best lighted of his films. I remember one scene, where you have a shot of William Hurt down a long, dark hallway. He opens the door . . . but, you can't see anything in front of him, because there is a sudden, brilliant white light in front of him. That shot just blew me away.
I just want to mention, that after I wrote my first message, I saw "The Rainbow." I place it on my like list, between "Aria" and "Valentino." Enjoy!
esackman

Return to Lists and Recommendations