10 best Truffaut films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

10 best Truffaut films

Postby pia01evb » Tue May 14, 2002 10:43 am

1.Les 400 coups 2.Jules et Jim 3.Day for night 4.L'enfant sauvage 5.Shoot the pianist 6.The man who loved women 7.The green room 8.Anne and Murial 9.Stolen kisses 10.The story of Adele H. Also Soft Skin,and A gorgeous kid like me(even tough not many other people seem to like it,but I don't care!)

Re: 10 best Truffaut films

Postby john-5 » Tue May 14, 2002 4:20 pm

My personal favourites are Anne and Muriel, Les 400 Coups
and Mississippi Mermaid (though i last saw this many years ago). Shoot the Pianist, Jules et Jim, Stolen Kisses, The Wild Child, Day for Night, The Story of Adele H, The Man who Loved Women, The Green Room, Vivement Dimanche not far behind. Many fine films, but relatively few masterpieces, i think.
The Green Room
Vivement Dimanche

Postby lildeville_14 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:01 am

Well I would put Les Quatre Cents coups first without a doubt (my 3rd favourite film of all time) then

2. Day for Night <br>
3. Jules et Jim <br>
4. Stolen Kisses <br>
5. Shoot the piano player <br>

Oh this is annoying! I hate lists well, anyway Two English Girls, Wild Child, The Last Metro, The bride wore black aren't far behind. I still have to see many others including Small Change.

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:58 am

I was gonna post this sooner or later. I am a HUGE! Truffaut fan, haven written a biography on him years ago and analyzed all his films.

The 400 Blows
Jules and Jim
Shoot the Piano Player
Stolen Kisses
Day for Night
The Last Metro
Small Change
Bed & Board
Two English Girls
The Green Room

Postby gimferrer » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:23 pm

The 400 blows is one of the films I have seen in my life...maybe you could answer one question I have Bigpopa:

The last scene where Antoine Doinel runaway from the institution he is in to reach the sea and then while he reaches the sand and see the sea he suddenly looks at the camera with an empty expression on his face

I never knew what Truffaut or Doniel meant by that! any thoughts?

Postby Gaz » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:05 pm

Perhaps it was deliberately ambiguous - one of the great things about cinema is that it is what you make of it. It is for you to decide what Truffaut/Doinel means.

Postby gimferrer » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:18 am

thanks Gaz, you could be right....then what do you make of it? It left me a little bit empty, maybe after so much running away and trying to find a way out, when he finally did it was nothing there.

I don't mean empty as a bad film, the other way round, a very powerfull momment that is.

Return to Lists and Recommendations