Can we trust the Top 100?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Can we trust the Top 100?

Postby bjornam » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:42 pm

- 2001 have a decent rate of 8.71 from a number of 103 votes, which should place it somewhere around 8-9. But it's nowhere to be seen.

- Ingmar Bergman's voting activities for his own films must be stopped. He is a truly great director, one of the greatest, but did hardly make all the three best films ever. Maybe one of them...

- Paradjanov still not on the list...

Re: Can we trust the Top 100?

Postby bjornam » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:46 pm

Whoops! 2001 is of course not a "foreign film"...

Postby patsfan86 » Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:11 am

Not to mention that it appears that there is once again a concerted effort to "bushwack" all the Japanese films on the list. What is your problem?

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:42 am

Personal lists are always different from a consensus. The recent Sight and Sound pole is probably not identical to any one particular critic or director who participated. That is what makes lists unique. As for Bergman dominating, remember that the films with the most votes will be the most popular ones, and there aren't many foreign directors as popular as him.

Postby john-5 » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:56 pm

I was surprised and disappointed by the sudden, sharp decline last year in many Japanese films' placings; a quick surge in numbers of votes for (or rather against) certain films which have had very few scores registered more recently. I found it difficult to believe that an individual or group could make a concerted attack on a country as opposed to a film or even director. However, i see from the imdb message boards that at least one individual is glorying in having- with his "followers"- marked down Japanese films. Rather worrying.

Return to Lists and Recommendations