Last Decade Iranian Movies: Simplistic, Poetic & Humanistic

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Last Decade Iranian Movies: Simplistic, Poetic & Humanistic

Postby sia » Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:22 am

It amazes me how a country like Iran could product such beautiful, simple yet entertaining movies. I would like to start a discussion group on this topic. Your comments are most welcome. Analysis of specific movie, or a specific director or even a particular Scene makes this discussion even more interesting.
sia

Re: Last Decade Iranian Movies: Simplistic, Poetic & Humanistic

Postby apoptosis » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:00 pm

I agree with you. The Iranian cinema was a big surprise for me. Somme of the Iranian movies that I liked,
A Time for Drunken Horses;
Zendegi dar meh;
The Taste of Cherry;
My Friend's House.

apoptosis

Postby sia » Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:57 pm

Don't forget these ones:
Childern Of Paradise
White Balloon
and recently Baroon
sia

Postby iceomat » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:32 pm

Has anyone seen "Secret Ballot" yet? In the cultural wasteland that is Oklahoma, I'm going to have to wait for home video.
iceomat

Postby john-5 » Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:31 am

Virtually every Iranian film i've seen- admittedly not a huge list- has been excellent, putting to shame most recent films in Britain and America!

I'd like to especially recommend;

The White Balloon (Panahi), Gabbeh (Mohsen Makhmalbaf) Close-Up, The Taste of Cherry (Kiarostami), The Day i Became a Woman (Meshkini), The Apple (Samira Makhmalbaf), The Colour of Paradise (Majidi)- but you can't really go far wrong seeing any that have been widely shown in Britain and America. I'd love to see more early classics like The Cow (Mehrjui), Still Life (Sales), Bashu the Little Stranger (Beiza'i). Also Nargess (Bani-Etemad).

It's interesting that Iran has produced some top female directors; Bani-Etemad, Meshkini and Samira Makhmalbaf. There's hardly a glut in Hollywood. Samira is the precocious daughter of Mohsen, and her step-mother/aunt is Marziyeh Meshkini. Quite a family!

Hamid Dabashi's book, "Close-Up; Iranian Cinema Past, Present and Future" is a useful introduction.
john-5

Postby costas.antony » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:34 pm

I recently saw several Iranian movies and have become quite a fan. I would highly recommend The Circle (Jafar Panahi), The Day I Became A Woman (Marziyeh Meshkini), Bag of Rice (Mohammed Ali Talebi) & A Moment of Innocence (Makhmalbaf).
costas.antony

Return to Lists and Recommendations