10 underrated films

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: 10 underrated films

Postby Gaz » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:02 am

Didn't Babette's Feast win the Best Foreign Film Oscar? Maybe I'm wrong, in which case apologies, but if so it's not exactly underrated.
Gaz

Postby bigpoppa_2059 » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:33 am

Powell's masterpiece "Peeping Tom" had the unfortunate luck of coming out the same year (actually months of each other) as "Psycho" in the states. Though the latter is far unsuperior. Martin Scorsese once said that "Peeping Tom" and "8 1/2" contain all there is to know about being a director.
bigpoppa_2059

Postby Bacchus33 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:13 pm

8 1/2 left me completely cold. I'm sure many others feel the same way. There is great Italian music, painting, sculpture and poetry but I am not sure if there is a great Italian film. As for worst film I would say any of Dario Argento's.
Bacchus33

Postby esackman » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:59 pm

If I see a foreign film and enjoyed it, and that foreign film is rated as being both one of the "best films of the year" and one of the "worst films of the year," then it is underrated by somebody. Here are three films like that: "Brotherhood of the Wolf," "Lair of the White Worm," and "The Mission." Enjoy all three films.
esackman

Postby pre-tender » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:59 pm

i think the answer for "why some great non-english masterpieces are underrrated" is because unlike Hollywood productions, foreignfilms are hard to understand ( for sometimes i see some movies of unfamiliar cultures to me)and to evaulate,to criticise,to find( yes there are dvds of most of them but what about the rest?),mention about( cos i could find no body till i have found this site to talk about non-english movies)...
in order to get the full taste of foreignfilms you should have a profound culturel-historical-social background of that nation!
for example: Yol-1982 ( The Way) when i read critiques of some people who have seen it, i imeediately realize that almost nobody could understand it except a few who had a bit knowledge of that time of Turkey...
i think that is why ( beside the handicaps to find them ) some masterpieces films are underrated...!!!
pre-tender

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations