Stanley Kubrick

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Stanley Kubrick

Postby Gaz » Thu May 15, 2003 4:55 pm

Oh nooooo, nobody says Adrian Lyne's Lolita is better than Kubrick's. I'm prepared to concede that Kubrick's film is overlong, but then most films are - just ask Roger Corman - and that Lyne's is closer to the book, and even that Irons looks more like Humbert ought to than Mason. The difference is that one film is great and the other isn't.

Lyne seems to forget that Nabokov's book is funny - Kubrick never overlooks this. Also there is something about Lyne's cast which makes me switch off. Jeremy Irons is no James Mason, Frank Langella is no Peter Sellers (some would say that's a good thing - I don't) and Melanie Griffith is certainly no Shelley Winters. Give me Kubrick's overlong, overrated masterpiece anyday.

I've said my piece.
Gaz

Postby Macheath » Fri May 30, 2003 8:30 pm

No mention of the wonderfully entertaining The Killing?

My five:
Dr. Strangelove
Paths Of Glory
The Killing
Full Metal Jacket
Macheath

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:32 pm

Lolita is a GREAT film...hilarious to boot...Not a faithful adaptation of Nabokov's book (it never would've passed the censors), but filled with great performances, especially that of Shelley Winters.
dianem

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations