Best Score ?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Score ?

Postby dianem » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:47 pm

Also the Wang Chung soundtrack for Bill Friedkin's underrated To Live & Die in LA. CD's GREAT driving music if you're going on a long trip.
dianem

Postby jools64 » Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:57 pm

Tess by Philippe Sarde

... and I would add Even Cowgirls Get The Blues by Ben Mink and k.d. lang. Excellent album but I couldn't hear the soundtrack very well when I saw the film.. so does it count?
jools64

Postby Gaz » Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:05 pm

Philippe Sarde is one of the greats - his scores for Nelly et Monsieur Arnaud and, in particular, L.627, are also excellent.
Gaz

Postby dianem » Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:41 pm

The Great Nino Rota - 8-1/2, La Dolce Vita, Amarcord, The Godfather...
dianem

Postby smurfrevolt » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:43 am

I love the soundtrack of "In the Mood for Love" esp. the Angkor Wat Theme, and the waltz when Maggie Cheung walks, and being a kid, nat king cole is a revelation. I never imagined i'd like that sort of music. "Amelie" - Yann Tiersen and "Requiem for a Dream" - Clint Marsell were also cool; "Great Expectations;" "Those Who love me Can Take the Train" and also "I am Sam."
smurfrevolt

Postby Gaz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:43 pm

Some unmentioned as yet scores:

The scores by John Barry for Walkabout and by Georges Delerue for Le Mepris are not only musically similar, but are also used as a recurring device in each film. Hypnotic.

One score which keeps coming back to me is Walter Schumann's for The Night of the Hunter. The way the Robert Mitchum theme of menacing, disjunct bare fifths is juxtaposed with the Shelly Winters theme as he is about to kill her is one of the most brilliant musical moments in all film.
Gaz

Previous

Return to Lists and Recommendations