Best Cinematography ?

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Best Cinematography ?

Postby smurfrevolt » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:24 am

I liked the cinematography in Tom Twyker's 'The Princess and the Warrior.' Just watched it again recently, and I really got to appreciate the aesthetics of that film.

Postby pre-tender » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:08 pm

Thanks for those who replyed my topic, after i had written this topic of course i went on seeing good films and i have 2 more films to add under this topic;
Hero ( Yimou Zhang); visually stunning, never seen any other "action-martial art" flick which has so beautiful,delicate,poetic "action" shots,(except Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon is visually great,moreover it does not suffer from a weak plot; better than Hero) Hero proves that even action films can be shot artfully, great cinematography

Three Colours; Red ( Kieslowsky) at last i saw Red, and it was superb, but i m a bit dissapointed ( i think those super ratings made this...!) but cinematography was one of the best i have ever seen, this film cannot be a classic without those painstakingly shot scenes, in every scene we may follow the characters from the best perspective ever possible...

Postby hindragal33 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:49 pm

These days it's so much easier to get films to look amazing what with all the computer assisted tricks. The pre digital films show a more difficult challenge to be visually arresting. My favorite pre-digital ciinematography is from the Polish film "The Sandglass" (Sanitorum Pod Klepsydra). Also virtually any film by Fellini (with Giuseppe Rotunno) has teriffic camerawork. My favorite post digital film is Greenaway's "Prospero's Books" (shot by Sacha Vierny) which has yet to be topped in the visual imagination department.

Postby auteur » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:24 pm

Good call on [i]Prospero's Books[/i]. Problem is ...can you name another film that [u]requires[/u] to be seen on a theatre screen. There's so much going on visually at all times that home screens virtually "drowns" the movie.

Postby patsfan86 » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:38 am

Couldn't agree more with the choice of 'The Cranes are Flying'. That film is so beautiful that the first time I saw it, it damn near left me breathless. A few others of note.....Harakiri, I am Cuba, and I've always loved the cinematography in Shane.

Postby vinod_indukuri » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:38 pm

I too thought the "Cranes are flying" had great camera work that is comparable to other illustrious works like for the "Citizen Kane".

Postby nina* » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:00 pm

Far From Heaven (bit boring but beautiful), Sleepy Hollow (dreamy), Barry Lyndon, 2001, Orlando, Elizabeth, La Reine Margot, Valmont, Raise The Red Lantern, Dangerous Liasons, Nightmare Before Christmas, Dracula (Coppola's), Eyes Wide Shut, most parts of Velvet Goldmine..

Postby nina* » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:39 pm

& Hedwig And The Angry Inch!

Return to Lists and Recommendations