Top 5...!

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Top 5...!

Postby pre-tender » Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:28 pm

Best 5 Turkish films in 40 years have been annnounced in this year's Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival,if you are in terested here is the officel site of the film festival www.altinportakal.org and here are the Top 5 of Turkish Cinema's 40 years:
"Gurbet Kuşları" Birds of Exile (1964)
"Uzak" Distant (2002)
"Ucurtmayi Vurmasinlar" Don't Let Them Shoot The Kite (1989)
"Muhsin Bey" Mr. Muhsin (1987)
"Dugun" The Wedding (1973)
pre-tender

Re: Top 5...!

Postby gratefultiger » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:32 pm

Thanks for that list Tuncay, i am going to request them for the ACMI (Australian Centre For The Moving Image) collection
here in OZ.If u know where they can be purchased let me know ...Cheers Chas
gratefultiger

Postby andynortonuk » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:49 pm

Here is top 5 foreign films!

Amelie (2001)
Perfect Blue (1997)
Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
andynortonuk

Postby pre-tender » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:14 pm

Dear Chas, unfortunately it is extremely hard to find those films especially within international platforms, i could seen only 2 of them ( Uzak-Distant,Ucurtmayi Vurmasinlar-Don't Let Them Shoot The Kite), however i will be able to get them within a year :) and of course if you desire to see them i can send copies of them to you, but i can not promise, mean while please do not think that they are the real top 5 of Turkish Cinema, yes they are selected films but not the real bests, i may recommend you a load of Turkish films as an loyal admirer of Turkish flicks but you know you can not find them and see...
pre-tender

Postby john-5 » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:11 pm

Very interesting. I don't know much about Turkish cinema, but i'm surprised by the absence of Okten (The Herd) and especially Guney (Yol).
john-5

Postby pre-tender » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:41 am

Yes right John-5, this top5 list which is announced by the critiques of Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival http://www.altinportakal.org.tr/ is very interesting, i was a bit surprised when i have heard this list as you did, because this list does not include the real best films of Turkish cinema, but these are the critiques' choices, i did not see all of them but Uzak ( Diztant) by Nuri Bilge Ceylan, it deserves being on the top5 , frankly i can not say anything about others films but i am absolutely sure that Turkish cinema has far more greater movies than those flicks, in order to learn them please just have a look at my top 10 list on this site http://www.foreignfilms.com/account/top10.asp and my top20 list http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=12903 at ymwb.com , as for the Herd and Yol , they are good films but not the best examples of Turkish cinema, just internationally and politically famous films of Turkey, but believe me there are many better movies than Yol and Herd, unfortunately it is impossible even for me ( i m a Turk ) to find Turkish films around me, however thanks to Tv channels, i have opportunity to see them on TV, because tv channels broadcast et least 3 Turkish films in a day and 1 famous one on prime-time, Turkish viewers are loyal admirers of melodrama and comedy films produced highly in 1960s-70s, well i am trying to acquire best-known examples of Turkish films as i said before, in near future i will be able to send or trade those films with any one interested...
pre-tender

Return to Lists and Recommendations