Best films of the 70's

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best films of the 70's

Postby groom_daniel » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:07 am

I'm taking part in a Best Films of the 70's poll at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations. I've seen quite a bit already, but I noticed in the Alternate Oscars thread there were films I've never heard of, like Spirit of the Beehive.

Re: Best films of the 70's

Postby Gaz » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:59 pm

If you can find it, I'd recommend Louis Malle's Lacombe Lucien. It's about Nazi collaboration in wartime France, and is for me the director's greatest film. One of the few foreign efforts to win the BAFTA for best film.

Even Pauline Kael liked it, though for some that may not act as a recommendation.

Postby auteur » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:09 pm

[I]The Spirit of the Beehive[/i] and [i]Lacombe, Lucien[/i] are excellent.
I recognize some of my favorites are not only somewhat difficult to find but may require too much patience and focus. They do have loyal admirers.

Postby john-5 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:52 pm

Alice in the Cities (Wenders) a neglected little gem.

Mirror (Tarkovsky) Complex, autobiographical masterpiece full of luminously beautiful and astonishing images.

Celine and Julie go Boating (Rivette). A unique, rambling Parisian film about 2 young women (a librarian and a magician) who strike up a friendship, swap identities, share pill-popping "trips" into a house where a strange ghostly drama is being enacted... Full of surreal illusions and literary allusions - Alice in Wonderland, Henry James, Cocteau.. Regarded by eminent critic David Thomson as the most important film since Citizen Kane. It has more than a little in common with Mulholland Drive, but is much lighter and airier, more new wave than noir.

Pakeezah (Amrohi) Sumptuous, ravishing Indian musical.

Aguirre Wrath of God (Herzog) Mesmerising adventure with Spanish conquistadors in search of El Dorado.

Spirit of the Beehive (Erice) Wonderfully intimate, mysterious drama; a young girl's imagination stirred by a screening of Frankenstein.

Kings of the Road (Wenders). Grand, sometimes lugubrious, but brilliantly shot German road movie

Claire's Knee (Rohmer). Fresh as a summer breeze, with the lovely greens and blues of Lake Annecy, and delicately erotic.

Postby HenryGinsberg » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:59 pm

I have a vague recolection of Pakeezah. , but I seem to remember it having a posotive effect on me.

Some other foreign film from the 70s that I really like are Day For Night, Last Tango in Paris, 1900, Bed and Board, The Chess Players and Lacombe Lucien - Yes, it is a great film.

Postby fugl_foeniks » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:30 pm

My favorite film from the 70's is "Spirit of the Beehive". It is a complex film about life and imagination. No film I've seen has ever moved me as much as this. Tarkovsky's films are also brilliant (my favourite is "Stalker"), although Erice's film seems more relevant and human to me. Herzog's films fascinate me very much. Nr. 1 for me is "The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser". The story behind the film is also interesting. The best American film is in my opinion the underrated Bob Rafaelson film "The King of Marvin Gardens". It's an intelligent and sometimes funny critique of the American dream. I don't understand why films like "The Godfather" and "Annie Hall" are more respected. Buñuel did also make some of his most interesting work in the 70's. I haven't seen "Tristana" yet, but "That Obscure Object of Desire" is a very thoughtprovoking movie. John Cassavetes is another great filmmaker working in the 70's. Cassavetes was probably born for film! At his best he was fifty years before his time. Other great filmmakers working in the 70's includes Altman, Fellini and Bertolucci. Unfortunately I haven't seen enough films by people like Wenders, Fassbinder and Olmi. I'm looking for Lino Brocka's "Manila- in the Claws of Darkness", one of the films included in Derek Malcolm's 100 personal best, but it seems impossible to find (if anyone could help I would be grateful).

Postby Gaz » Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:46 pm

Quite right - The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser is one of Herzog's very best, with a brilliant central performance by Bruno S. Though don't forget Aguirre, Wrath of God either.

Postby wpqx1 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:34 am

I have been on a Fassbinder kick. Criterion just put out Ali and the Marriage of Maria Braun, well worth picking up. My personal favorite is Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant though.

Postby Gaz » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:22 am

Petra von Kant's a great film - stylised, camp, incredibly enjoyable - though my favourite of those films is Ali (known in Britain just as Fear Eats the Soul), a film with a lot to say about society and its perception of outsiders (much like Kaspar Hauser).

Postby mdipres » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:36 am

Solyaris (1972), Being There (1979), Blazing Saddles (1974)

Return to Lists and Recommendations