Most important films for you

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Re: Most important films for you

Postby groom_daniel » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:52 pm

I guess in terms of impression, I'll never forget the first time I saw Ozu, Renoir, Bergman, Mizoguchi, Vigo or Tarkovsky, but more importantly, it was directors like Rohmer, Truffaut or Shohei Imamura that filled out my filmgoing experience. Most recently I've been impressed by Ang Lee's early stuff, Pedro Almodóvar, Hiroshi Teshigahara, Claude Sautet, Hayao Miyazaki, Claude Chabrol and Beat Takeshi Kitano. All of these directors have different visions of humanity, but their films approximate real life and improve upon it, so that humanism becomes an ideal worthy of the cinema, and that type of romanticism is why I love the cinema.

Postby wpqx1 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:32 am

Casablanca was the film that did it for me. After that I wandered to see Lawrence of Arabia, Schindler's List, Apocalypse Now, Dr. Zhivago and that did it. My obsession began, and I set out to see all of the AFI's 100 greatest films. After that I wandered to foreign films, with the first two being Wings of Desire and M. Since then the obsession rarely stops. The most recent film to leave me stunned was Bloody Sunday, powerful stuff.

Postby auteur » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:05 am

One question? Two interpretations.

The films that moved the medium forward are: [i]Birth of a Nation, Potemkin, Un Chien Andalou, Citizen Kane, Breathless, Last Year at Marienbad,[/i] and [i]2001[/i].

The films with the greatest impact on who I am are these ones I watched before I turned 20:
[i]Pinocchio[/i] taught me about ambition. I learned about freedom from [i]Boudu[/i]; corruption from [i]Chinatown[/i]; moral consistency from [i]Bicycle Thief[/i], repression from [i]One flew over the cuckoo's nest[/i]; evil from [i]Garden of the Finzi-Continis[/i]; and [i]Rashomon[/i] taught me about the subjectivity of truth and the redemptive power of love.

Postby Knoxville » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:03 pm

Kings of the Road
The Fourth Man
The Big Blue
A Walk in the Clouds

Return to Lists and Recommendations