Best modern directors

Create lists of the best, worst, favorites, etc... and request or share recommendations with other users. Add your Top 10 lists here!

Best modern directors

Postby Mik » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:28 pm

I mean directors who created (and create) their films in 1990s and now. I think, Lars von Trier, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Krzysztof Kieslowski. Who else? Please, submit your lists.

Re: Best modern directors

Postby Gaz » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:18 pm

Of those, I think Kieslowski is maybe the greatest, though I like von Trier very much too (an acquired taste). Also Aki Kaurismäki. In the non-foreign film field, I'd like to mention Paul Thomas Anderson.

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:01 pm

Kaurismaki,Kiarostami,Haneke, Mohsen Makhmalbaf,Von Trier,
Kieslowski,Wong Kar- Wai are some i admire but i rate Aleksandr Sokurov as the greatest modern director.

Postby felipejuanfroilan » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:24 pm

Stephen Daldry, Zhang Yimou, Silvain Muyl, Alejandro Amenábar....

Postby john-5 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:36 pm

I don't think there are any whose careers (or even a group of films) currently match up to the greats of the past. Kiarostami has an excellent body of intelligent and quietly poetic work to his credit, going back well before the 90's though. Samira Makhmalbaf has done amazingly well for her age. I very much enjoyed the 3 Tran Anh-Hung films i've seen. Of course Zhang Yimou has done fine things including his superb debut feature Red Sorghum in 87. Miyazaki has a unique vision and talent. I hope the Mexican director Reygadas builds on the arthouse promise of Japon. Hirokazu Kore-eda's Maborosi is an absolute masterpiece and i liked his After Life, too; look forward to seeing more by him.

Old-timers; Hats off to Manoel de Oliveira, still going strong in his 9th decade of film-making, as is Rohmer in his 80's. And i'm really looking forward to Angelopoulos' forthcoming trilogy.

Postby auteur » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:23 am

Runners Up (in random order):
Bahman Ghobadi, David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Zhang Yimou, Chen Kaige, Jim Jarmusch, Laurent Cantet, Lars von Trier, Stanley Kwan, Edward Yang.

Postby groom_daniel » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:08 am

I admire Beat Takeshi Kitano the most.

Postby gratefultiger » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:44 pm

Oops! forgot De Oliveira & "Beat" Takishi Kitano(gotta stop smokin' that stuff)

Postby fugl_foeniks » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:06 pm

1) HAROMNY KORINE (USA)- Unlike any other director I know working today Korine has something radical new to offer. Werner Herzog said of his shocking debut film, "Gummo": "This represents the future of humanity".
2) HOU HSIAO-HSIEN (TAIWAN) - OK, I haven't seen "The Puppetmaster" or any other of his films made in the 90's, but having seen four of the films he made in the 80's (including the great "The Time to Live and the Time to Die") I must say that he is one of the best directors active today. He is better than Korine, but since this is a list about modern directors I place Korine before Hou because of the radical form and content in his two first films.
3) VICTOR ERICE (SPAIN) - I hope we some day see a fourth film by Erice, because he is without doubt one of the most talented directors ever.
4) MIKE LEIGH (GREAT BRITAIN) - Is "Naked" the best film of the 90'as? Maybe. Leigh is a challenging and risktaking director, at the height of his powers in the 90's.
5) WERNER HERZOG (GERMANY) - I know that most people think of the 70's and the Neues Kino when they hear the name Werner Herzog. However, I still think that a film like "Lessons of Darkness" (1992) makes him worthy a place in this list. It will be interesting to see his next film, a documentary about the enigma of Loch Ness.
Except Korine there are only "old" men on this list. Hopefully someone will join Korine in his film revolution. "Gummo" could have been the "Breathless" of our time, but unfortunately there are no other young directors nearly as interesting as Korine.

Postby felipejuanfroilan » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:42 am

I just recommend you to lose your hopes about Victor Erice, he doesn't receive the respect he deserves from producers.
One example is his film "The South", the last 50 minutes of the film weren't made just because the producer wanted to have it finished to show it in Cannes. In those 50 minutes the girl Estrella would have gone to "the south" to know the other family, and the other life of his dead father (and the great Fernando Fernán-Gómez had already agreed to take part in the film).

Three years ago, Erice was going to make one film called "El Embrujo de Shangai", but the producer obligued him to change the script three or four times, and finally he gave the project to Oscar winner Fernando Trueba.

Return to Lists and Recommendations