The White Masai (Die Weisse Massai) (2005) (Germany)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The White Masai (Die Weisse Massai) (2005) (Germany)

Postby hengcs » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:40 am

Director: Hermine Huntgeburth
Cast: Nina Hoss, Jacky Ido

I have watched it in April, so this is all that I can recall ...
maybe "A" (or someone who have watched it) can write more about it?!
hee hee

Synopsis
Based on the autobiography of Corinne Hofmann, the film traces the relationship of a Swiss-German tourist, Carola and a Masai warrior Lemalian.

My thoughts and conclusion

- The cinematography is great.

- The actress portrays her role very well. You can see how she transforms over the film ...

- My only qualm (if at all) is that the film is based on a book (which means it is from her perspective) ... hence, the ending of the film kind of fail to give us a better portrayal of "BOTH sides" of the story ...

as of now, instead of thinking that their eventual breakup is due to "cultural differences" ... it appears more to the audience that the guy is "at fault" (starkly contrasted against the gal's diligence, perseverance, etc) ... please do NOT feel offended, but the last portion of the film may come across to many audience as the guy being "over suspicious/ and jealous/and possessive" ...

BUT in case you misunderstand, let me qualify, only the two people involved know what actually happened ... maybe what is depicted is indeed the truth ... maybe it is from her perspective only ... maybe it is just some misunderstanding due to cultural differences ...

Whatever is the case, I think the film at least highlights an important issue, that life is not simple ... often, realism sets in and competes with "romanticism" ...

Conclusion
Above average to recommended.
For those who have experiences with cross cultural relationships, the film may touch a chord.
hengcs

Re: The White Masai (Die Weisse Massai) (2005) (Germany)

Postby A » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:22 pm

Interesting that you have seen the film. I have not watched the film (and do not intend to), but this was probably the most succesfull domestic film here in Germany - the novel is also a bestseller. But all of the critics absolutely despised it, though some praised the main actress in the same breath, and wondered why she agreed to play in such drivel. So there was much controversy about it here in Germany, but sadly I can't point you to any articles, as they are all in German.
Nice to see that somebody liked it, and especially a foreigner.
A

Postby hengcs » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:27 am

Quote A, "So there was much controversy about it here in Germany, but sadly I can't point you to any articles, as they are all in German. Nice to see that somebody liked it, and especially a foreigner."

I am not sure if I like it that much ... hiaks hiaks
that was why I wandered between "above average" to "recommended" ...

I guess I was more forgiving because I assumed it was told from the perspective of the female protagonist ... and not from an objective story telling point of view ...

I suspect there is controversy over ...
(i) how the "foreign culture" is depicted (i.e., not too favorably) ... that was why in the end, she abandoned them ...
(ii) everything seems more justifiable from her perspective and less reasonable involving the other culture ...

Such approach is often "risky" ...

Yet, the book (or film) is popular ... because ...
(i) (I suspect) people are always keen to understand "true stories" about cross cultural relationship ...
(ii) also, (I suspect) many women do find strength in the female protagonist ... i.e., how she overcame so much odds to survive and support her daughter ...
hengcs

Postby A » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:06 pm

You are pretty right with your assertions.
But it's not that important since I haven't seen the film myself...
Interesting to see which german films find their way to other countries, though.
A

Postby justindeimen » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:20 pm

Will post more when I can keep my eyes open (nothing to do with the movie, just really tired) but for now the lindering thoughts are that the protaganists are intriguing, thanks to the great performers in both roles.

Fantabulous visuals, very Constant Gardener in mixing the cultures through the AV. Would have liked a bit more insight into the relationship though.
justindeimen

Postby A » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:22 am

I got a few more recommendations by a couple of Slovenian friends to watch this movie. Seems that only the german critics didnt like it...
Nina Hoss, who plays the main part in the movie is actually one of the most promising german actresses. No wonder you liked the performances Justin.
A

Return to Film Talk