Battle in Heaven(Batalla en el cielo)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Battle in Heaven(Batalla en el cielo)

Postby A » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:45 pm

So...
How about some discussion?
I know it's been a while but come on folks.
Trevor and arsaib don't like it. Howard does, and imo it's the second best film I've seen this year (slightly better than Cache and The New World!).
Maybe I should say something controversial...
A

Postby trevor826 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:21 am

Maybe I should say something controversial...

Why not A, personally I didn't see it as a complete failure but I'm still unsure as to what Carlos Reygadas was trying to say, even the interview I have offers very little.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:59 pm

Well, what he's trying to say is probably "just" showing the desolate human landscape in Mexico, where people live in two directions which cannot easily be reconciled. The only hope lies in recognizing and facing this. And through this film the viewer might be able to come closer to this goal. After all, the problems presented are universal and not only restricted to Mexico.
Part political pamhplet, documentary on everyday life, abstract allegorical play, and satire, connected through image and sound. It's simply cinema.

But I don't have anything controversial to add really. I think the film does enough of it
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:53 am

I'm glad you didn't, A. But I'm sure even if you would have, it wouldn't have been the sort of ignorance spewed forth by individuals who've cornered extreme positions (both positive and negative) and can't quite comprehend the fact that most don't agree with them.

I'll properly respond in a couple of months when you're "back" and, hopefully, I've seen the film one more time (I'm not looking forward to it but I'll do so for the sake of this.)
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:37 pm

This should provide a debate worth waiting for, don't keep us hanging on too long A.

Cheers Trev.

If you want I'll type up the dvd interview.
trevor826

Postby A » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:19 pm

Hmm, I typed a response to this thread, but ezboard threw me out. I'll try to recapitulate it.

I recently read a short interview with Reygadas, where he was talking in rather modest terms about the beauty and despair of the people, and didn't want to see his film understood too much as a political allegory. i was a bit surprised.
I'd love to read the DVD interview though, if it isn't too much work Trev.

After seeing the film for the first time, I wanted to rewatch it immediately, but since that, my enthusiasm has cooled down considerably. This doesn't concern the film's quality, but the fact that I find it hard to stomach. But I've been bumping into it dozens of time since then, and a local theater here in Nurnberg will start screening it next week (it has gotten quite heavy distribution here in germany, maybe because of all the controversy surrounding it). I have met some cinephiles who intend to watch it at the big screen, and maybe I'll accompany them, so we will both have two viewings arsaib.
(thanks for the kind words, btw.)

It seems like I've gotten more sensitive when it comes to films lately. I had to break off a rewatch of pasolini's "Salo" this year when i was only halfway through the film. I admire it, but it was just too much.
A

Postby trevor826 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:02 pm

A, are you getting soft in your old age .

Whatever will you feel the next time you see 1900?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:57 pm

Yes, my years are beginning to bother me - but as long as I don't need a walking stick.

Oh, I'd love to watch 1900 again. It has just been released on DVD here in Germany, so I hope I'll get a chance in the next two years. I think I will love it.
A

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:53 pm

I watched the film and my only reaction was "what's the big deal?" I was expecting some great polarizing love it or hate it film and instead I'm walking away passively content. The film didn't do anything for me good or bad, and seems a prime example of a picture getting the wrong kind of attention.
wpqx

Postby A » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:40 pm

Well, I watched it a second time at the cinema and loved it even more. Will be my number 2 pick for 2006. Imo its now a masterpiece.
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk