Rosetta (Belgium, 1999)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Rosetta (Belgium, 1999)

Postby trevor826 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:23 pm

I need to re-watch L'Enfant and La Promesse and will probably see both early next year.

Cheers Trev.

Re: Rosetta (Belgium, 1999)

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:13 am

hmmm ... before i comment on all the 4 films, may i ask about two "repeated" scenes that i see in Rosetta?!

(1) was the stomach pain ever explained? i am okay if it was not ... but i wondered ...

(2) why was she always "fishing"/and "NOT really fishing" with the bottle?!

1. The obvious answer to the stomach trouble which would also explain the heightened anxiety and emotional state of Rosetta is that she was suffering from period pains, her mother makes a comment referring to when she had the same sort of problem plus heat helps to relieve the worst of the pain. The film itself covers a very short time span so this could well provide the answer.

I'd be more than happy to be corrected on this.

2. The fishing, the first time she checked the traps, all she'd caught was a tiddler so she put it back in the water. The second time she'd caught a bigger fish but was caught out when she heard the motorbike. Thinking it was the owner of the caravan park, she threw the trap and the fish into the water. Once she realised who it was, she tried to retrieve the trap.

Hope that sorts things out and looking forward to your comments hengcs.

Cheers Trev.

Return to Film Talk