Isabella (Hong Kong) (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Isabella (Hong Kong) (2006)

Postby hengcs » Sat May 13, 2006 4:38 am

Director: Pang Ho Cheung
Cast: Chapman To, Isabella Leung

The music in the film garnered the Best Film Music in Berlin Film Festival 2006

The official website (with English)
Note: the synopsis in the official website may contain spoilers

I would suggest you do not read any (incl. the "taglines" on the posters) because all of them contain spoilers, and there are a few plot twists ... But if you insist, let me make it more subtle ... It tells of the relationship between a man (a cop in Macau, 1999, before its return to China) and the relationship with a girl he has a night with ...

My thoughts

-- Well, if you like films that are mood driven (cf. Wong Kar Wai's movie) ... this is for you ... Its music is interesting (esp. for a Chinese film) because it has influences from both Cantonese and Portugese music/culture ... I like the music

-- As for plot, it contains a few twists ... and a number of flashbacks ... but please do not go anticipating them ... that is why i hate to suggest that there are even plot twists ... cos that kind of spoil the "fun" ... also, the film is "intercepted" frequently with news excerpts about corrupt cops in Macau (in 1999) just before its return to China ... which is not unlike the main protagonist ...

I thought the timing and plot is well thought of ...
i.e., it is about loneliness and belonging ... the girl and the guy "returning" to a home ... and Macau's return to China ...
i.e., it also captures the social issues rather well ... about corruption and prostitution, etc ...

BUT, in case you dwell too much on other issues, the film is really about the relationships between the two main protagonists, and the complexity of human emotions ...

-- As for the title Isabella, there are three possibilities ...
two of which you will figure out in the film ...
but also, do you realize that the female actress is known as Isabella?! ... hee hee

-- Finally, if you are one who goes for more well known cast ...
there are many cameo ... ha ha ha ...
e.g., Shawn Yue, Anthony Wong, Josie Ho, etc

esp if you prefer a film where "mood" and music is more involving than plot driven ... more an artsy film rather than commercial film ...

Re: Isabella (Hong Kong) (2006)

Postby trevor826 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 am

Thanks hengcs, this does look good. I took a quick look at the site and along with hengcs warnings regarding spoilers within the taglines and synopsis, it's probably also worth mentioning the trailer which may contain spoilers.

As to the music, a beautiful mournful "fado" song is played on the official site, it certainly gives an atmospheric mood that I would hope is sustained by the film itself.

One I'll definitely keep a watch on.

Cheers Trev.

Return to Film Talk