Help!... What film is this?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Help!... What film is this?

Postby trevor826 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:33 am

Maybe Madhuban or anyone who has knowledge of Indian cinema can answer this.

I caught a small part of a film the other night, unfortunately missing the beginning then suffering a power cut so I only saw around 20-30 minutes of it.

A couple of men stay at an old deserted mansion house having been caught out in a storm, one of them appears to recognise the house even though he's never been there before. After a few minor incidents that jog some sort of previous life memories, the story transports us back into the past where the same man is strolling through the countyside, about to take up the job of manager to the owner of the mansion. He suddenly bursts into song, singing about how beatiful and perfect nature is.

After that he takes up residence and is introduced to the people who will be working under him, during his first evening there a mournful female voice sings to him, calling him to meet at the river.

Unfortunately that's all I have, the film is black and white, could be from the 1960's, hopefully there's enough to jog someones memory as I'd love to be able to see the whole film.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Re: Help!... What film is this?

Postby A » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:10 pm

Doesn't ring any bells, I'm clueless.
Hope you'll get the opportunity to watch it again.
A

Postby madhuban » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:57 pm

@trevor

Sounds suspiciously like The Hungry Stones by Tapan Sinha (1960), an adaptation of a story by Rabindranath Tagore.

M
madhuban

Postby trevor826 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:26 am

Thank's Madhuban, I did a quick check on IMDB and was astounded at the lack of information apart from a rating of 10/10.

Looking on the internet in general there is such a lack of detailed information or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Hopefully I'll find a copy of it somewhere, I'll start with the library as they have a huge collection of Indian films.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Return to Film Talk