Volver (2006) (Spain)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Volver (2006) (Spain)

Postby wpqx » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:52 pm

I have avoided this thread until now because until last night, I hadn't seen the film. Little did I know that up until the last two posts no one was actually discussing the film. I found the film immensely entertaining, and a welcome departure from not only the overly somber and serious tone some of his more recent films have seen, but a welcome return to a more female dominated cast. It's nice to see Almodovar leave out homosexuals and transvestites, if for only one film. Cruz is great, and I found myself asking the same question her mother does "Has your chest always been this big?" Many good laughs from the crowd I saw the movie with (which was pretty good for 10:20pm on a Monday night).

The film is a little simpler than his previous efforts, and not in a bad way. Sure there are multiple plot threads, but they don't get overdone. In fact Almodovar leaves most of his threads unfinished and unresolved, such as the future with the restaurant, any investigation into Paco's disappearance, etc. However, do we really need it all explained? Well made, gorgeously composed, and in all one of the best films I've seen all year. Admittedly I'm far behind on films this year, so I'm not basing it on a great deal, but I can easily see a top ten finish for this.

on a side note I saw a preview for Zhang Yimou's new Martial Arts epic, and it looks so deliciously over the top I almost burst into tears of joy.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:54 pm

With such polarised opinions on this one, I'm really curious. Two weeks to go to agree with one or the other

M
madhuban

Postby trevor826 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:33 am

I took it as an enjoyable albeit light satire on certain aspects of small town Spain, it does lack depth and leaves a tangle of unfinished threads but is at times beautifully composed.

Unsatisfying in terms of resolvement or reality but a fair slice of escapist fare.

I'll be able to check out the dvd soon so will be able to see how I feel after a second viewing.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:11 am

"on a side note I saw a preview for Zhang Yimou's new Martial Arts epic, and it looks so deliciously over the top I almost burst into tears of joy."

I saw that, too, but instead of tears of joy, it nearly made me burst into hives. Ever since Yimou and his 5th gen. buddy, Chen Kaige, have sold out, they've been practically dead to me. Now I only love Tian Zhuangzhuang.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:22 am

I just have found that Yimou seems to work better to me when his canvas is large. I was unimpressed with The Story of Qiu Ju even though he was still in his rebellious stage. After the slight disappointment with Riding Alone, I'm excited about the ludicrously over the top film he has coming out, and with Gong Li back in the picture I'd say its good. I'll admit though I miss his more daring days.

However the thread is still about Almodovar, and I say thumbs up for Volver.
wpqx

Postby justindeimen » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:20 am

Volver was masterfully crafted in a self-contained, self-involved arena of emotions. It is in its essence, a less ambitious film which seems to be a shortcoming in the eyes of many Almodovar's staunch advocates.
justindeimen

Postby hengcs » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:48 am

Quote wpqx "on a side note I saw a preview for Zhang Yimou's new Martial Arts epic, and it looks so deliciously over the top I almost burst into tears of joy."

Quote arsaib4 "I saw that, too, but instead of tears of joy, it nearly made me burst into hives. Ever since Yimou and his 5th gen. buddy, Chen Kaige, have sold out, they've been practically dead to me. Now I only love Tian Zhuangzhuang."

Hi,

i think u pple are talking abt this film

Huang Jin Jia (Curse of The Golden Flower) (2006) (China/HK)

Yup ... many are eagerly awaiting this film
hengcs

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:08 am

That's the one
wpqx

Previous

Return to Film Talk