Any recommendations - German films?

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Any recommendations - German films?

Postby hengcs » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi,
we are gonna have a German film fest,
given that i will be away (again), i can only catch a few ...

any comments of these films?
which has to be watched?

if you need the German titles ...
click here
www.goethe.de/ins/sg/prj/...nindex.htm

- And if they haven't passed away
- Barefoot
- Belgrad Backspin
- Between the Lines
- Crossing the Bridge
- Elementary Particles
- Free Will, The
- Frozen Angels
- Happy as One
- Into Great Silence
- Lucy
- Mein Bruder - We'll meet again
- No Sweat
- Nothing Ventured
- Red Cockatoo, The
- Requiem
- Rhythm is it!
- Running on Empty
- Summer in Berlin
- Tough Enough
- Wedding Factory, The
- Windows on Monday
hengcs

Re: Any recommendations - German films?

Postby A » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:33 am

Very interesting lineup. The Goethe institute seems to be improving a bit with the selection of german films they are showing.

My recommendations:
Lucy
Nothing Ventured
Rhythm is it!
Summer in Berlin
Windows on Monday

If you watch only these five films, you will get a good idea of the quality and the different approaches of current german cinema.

And you probably also can't go wrong with these three:
The Free Will
Frozen Angels
Into great Silence

And if they haven't passed away
Can't tell you much on that one. I think it's the last part of a long documentary series on german people from a particular town that strated some 30 years ago, and had more than ten entries. Haven't seen any of them, because I wasn't (and am still not) interested. Would be interesting to read a foreigner's review though.

Barefoot
Entertaining romantic comedy about a guy without orientation in his life who falls in love with a mental patient. Mediocre, but I found it charming. If you want to be entertained.

Crossing the Bridge
Documentary on music scene in Turkey by Fatih Akin ("Head-on"). Heard and read very good things about it. It is said to take a similar approach like Wenders Buena Vista Social Club (1999). Should be interesting if you're into music.

Elementary Particles
New film by eccentric filmmaker Oskar Roehler, it is said to be his most mainstream, though that probably doesn't mean much in his case. Critics were mixed, I can't say anything about it. Should have good performances though. Ah, it's an adaptation of the Houllebeq novel, but with a different aproach/moral.

The Free Will
Sadly I also haven't seen this one myself. But I recommend it for you to watch, anyway. Features two of the best younger german actors, Sabine Timoteo and Jrgen Vogel. Vogel plays a rapist who is released after several years from a mental hospital and tries to find a way back to normal life. But it doesn't work. It is said to be very dark and bleak.
I would like to read a review on it by you, hengcs.

Frozen Angels
Have this on Video, but not watched yet. About scientific ways of conceiving children, this should be very interesting! You probably should consider watching it.

Happy as One
Watched this on the Berlin Film Festival. Independent film about people trying to connect with each other. I didn't like it, but it might be interesting for others.

Into Great Silence
Haven't seen, but a review of another film by Groning is here, where arsaib also posted some info on this one. Recommended

Lucy
17 year old Mother struggles with her child and her life. Recommended. My comments can be found here (you have to scroll down to the short comments).

Nothing Ventured
One of the more recent films by great german Filmmaker Harun Farocki. Two parties trying to make a deal with each other, this is a documentary a la Hitchcock. Says much about the workings of our money oriented society. Watch this!

Red Cockatoo, The
New film by Dominik Graf, one of the better german directors, about german youth before the completion of the Berlin Wall in 1961. Should be very interesting. Review of another film by him is here.

Requiem
New film by talented german director Hans Christian-Schmid that won dozens of awards and was praised by the critics over the world. Not recommended by me, though. My review is here.

Rhythm is it!
Documentary about a school, were children are motivated by professional dance teachers to gain the confidence to perform "Le sacre du printemps" on stage. Great inspirational film, was one of the best in 2004, imo. Watch it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Too bad I haven't written any comments on it.

Summer in Berlin
Very good film by one of the best german filmmakers, Andreas Dresen. Two women in their mid 30s are struggling with everyday life in Berlin. Trying to find a job and a place in life, what both have is ultimately each other. Entertaining and profound. Rated it 70/100. Go see it, I'm sure you'l like it hengcs.

Tough Enough
Controversial german film about a young kid who gets beaten up in school and tries to stand up against a brutal environment. Liked by critics and audiences alike, it is said to take a realist approach to its topic. Probably worth watching.

Windows on Monday
Very honest and difficult film about relationships in germany with people in their 20s/30s. Has some humor, but you definitely won't be entertained in the usual sense. Pretty bleak, but that's what I probably consider the hope and future of german cinema. Recommended. You can read my thoughts here (scroll down to the short comments).
A

Postby hengcs » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:03 am

hey thnks

(1) apparently, Windows on monday and rhythm is it clashed!
and they both have only 1 screening?
which would u recommend?

(2) is it okay if i miss lucy? the ratings at imdb seems very poor ... a too artsy film?!

PS: by the way, i have always been very appreciative of the effort to bring in foreign films in Singapore ... ... i just thought they shld have also brought in "The Lives Of Others" ... * hee hee *
hengcs

Postby A » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:52 pm

(1)
Puh, difficult question. Rhythm is it! is an uplifting documentary, and Windows on Monday is pretty heavy stuff. I would say, it depends on your mood.

(2)
The rating at imdb probably seems poor, because it is difficult to connect emotinally to the film. It is very much shot like a documentary, with little dialogue. Could be too artsy, but then you shouldn't watch Windows on Monday at all.
PS: I gave Lucy initially only a 58/100 ratingk, which is still good, but pretty low. Maybe the film isn't very successful as a film, but it has so many interesting elements and will probably leave you thinking for days about (german) society and human interactions. It challenges a lot of notions in a rather casual non-shocking way - this may also be a problem with audiences - but then you should have been there when Windows on Monday was screened. Probably 90% of the audience was clueless.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:29 pm

" Summer in Berlin
Very good film by one of the best german filmmakers, Andreas Dresen. Two women in their mid 30s are struggling with everyday life in Berlin. Trying to find a job and a place in life, what both have is ultimately each other. Entertaining and profound. "

I agree; it's a good film.

I'll be watching Requiem very soon.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:38 pm

I'll be waiting for your comments.
And I hope hengcs also finds some time for a review on the films he enjoyed the most.
A

Postby hengcs » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:12 pm

got the tickets today for Rhythm Has It ...
but couldn't be there ...
so wasted a ticket ... sigh

have watched The Free Will and Requiem ...
will write the reviews some other day (2 weeks later) ...
cos will be away from the computer ... hiaks hiaks
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:47 am

Requiem. I was extremely impressed by the economy of the screenplay and editing, especially given the film's subject matter. Sandra Hller fully deserves all the awards she's received; I thought she was magnificent. After Lichter and now Requiem, Hans-Christian Schmid deserves to be considered among the most talented German filmmakers working today.
arsaib4

Return to Film Talk