The Young Lieutenant (Le Petit Lieutenant) (2005) (France)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Young Lieutenant (Le Petit Lieutenant) (2005) (France)

Postby hengcs » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:08 am

The film garnered the Best Actress in Csar Awards 2006 .

I have watched it ... will comment tomorrow ...

Re: The Young Lieutenant (Le Petit Lieutenant) (2005) (France)

Postby A » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:28 pm

so, what do you say hengcs?

Re: The Young Lieutenant (Le Petit Lieutenant) (2005) (France)

Postby hengcs » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:28 am

Director: Xavier Beauvois
Cast: Nathalie Baye, Jalil Lespert

The official website

Upon graduation at the police force, a young police office opted for a post in Paris, in the hope of some actions and achievements. However, life there is not what he expected ... how would he end? ...

My thoughts:

-- Okay, I went in not knowing what the film was about ... and from the title, and the beginning of the film, I wasn't expecting the film to opt for "this direction/approach". For those expecting a thriller, or something exciting about crime stories, you will be disappointed ... oops, this has just reminded me of The Beat That My Heart Skipped ... the accolades are not for its "thrilling" pace, but an appreciation of its characterization ... Likewise, The Young Lieutenant is not about solving the crime ... Instead, the audience likens the main protagonist (all ready and prepared for a life full of "actions/thrills") ... but reality is often different ... as the film showed you what typical daily lives in the force is about ... and even when there is a crime, it is not all about excitement and thrills ... however, there is "some excitement" nearer the end ...

-- What really gets across are its characters, as one identifies with the male protagonist and female protagoinist ... the chemistry between them ... their lives ... their vulnerabaility and their protectiveness, etc ...

Recommended, only because of its cast and its choice of a different portrayal of police life (i.e., more in line with realism) ... but because of that, it might fail to capture audience who expects an adrenalin driven plot ...

Return to Film Talk