Three Times, the new HHH

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Three Times, the new HHH

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:53 am

Perhaps that's why I was initially disappointed with it. It seemed similar to Flowers of Shanghai, but not as visually striking. I'll admit that it was still interesting, but I loved how Flowers was shot with much more intricate and longer takes. For whatever reasons Hou likes to admit, the fact of making it a silent segment is still something of a gimmick, but one I think pays off eventually.

Postby hengcs » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:06 am

ha ha ...

my guilty confession ... i was also very very very tired when i first watched it in a cinema ... i dozed off (despite my great effort to keep awake) during the third story ...

but guess what, the director earned more money because i went to watch it again in the cinema the second time ... hiaks hiaks ...

in sum,

BOTH times, i like the first story and the song best ... ha ha ha ... the mood is just right ...

as for the second story, i just thought it is well scripted ... with impt parallels and messages ...

as for the third story, i just thought it tries too hard ...

overall, recommended.

Postby trevor826 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:36 pm

Beautiful film but unfortunately I suffered the same fate as one or two others, a combination of a heavy meal beforehand, two+ hours sat in a small cinema with no air conditioning add the lilting piano music during the second section and you can guess what happened. A couple of seconds here and there were all that were needed to make me lose track of where the story was going.

I'm so ashamed..............................

I will catch it again on dvd asap.

Cheers Trev.

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:22 am

I hope you do -- Artificial-Eye is releasing it on Nov 13th, with a quote from Jim Jarmusch on the cover! Not sure what the extras will be. As wpqx mentioned earlier, the U.S. DVD is coming out next week. The French DVD is already available, and it reportedly features English subs.

Postby hengcs » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:36 am

And the Asian DVDs are available (usually with English subtitles)

Postby tzarine » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:08 pm

the 2nd segment felt like a rehash of flowers of shanghai and the 3rd was KMART wannabe WKW.

Disappointing stuff from HHH.

Return to Film Talk