The Banquet (Ye Yan) (2006)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The Banquet (Ye Yan) (2006)

Postby hengcs » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:01 am

The most highly anticipated Chinese film this year (will be screened in September).

Director: Feng Xiao Gang
Cast: Zhang Ziyi, Ge You, Zhou Xun, Daniel Wu, Wang Xiao Ming

The official website
see
http://ent.sina.com.cn/yeyan.html
http://www.thebanquetthemovie.com/

I have finally gotten to see the trailer on a big screen,
and it needs to be so ... because of the DETAILS and cinematography ... WOW ...

But if you are too eager, here is a trailer
(it might NOT appear good because details are lost in the poor resolution)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAa0ip1czjc&search=the%20banquet%20trailer

I even suspect it will represent China in Oscar 2007.
hee hee
hengcs

Re: The Banquet (Ye Yan) (2006)

Postby trevor826 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:42 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................looks a little familiar and all too similar to a few other films doesn't it!

Is this the only type of film we will see being distributed from China from now on? Still at least it doesn't look like some sort of reject John Carpenter b-movie as Seven Swords did.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:52 pm

I think hengcs is anticipating it because of Ms. Ziyi Zhang.

Btw, what other films do you have in mind, Trev? I didn't like Seven Swords very much, but what surprised me the most was its poor production values.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:00 pm

The trailer reminded me of Hero, HoFD, CTHD and all the other costume epics. Maybe hengcs can way lay those thoughts once he's seen the film.

It is a shame to see Zhang Ziyi pretty well typecast, I'm sure a little variation in her roles would do her the world of good as it has done for Maggie Cheung and Gong Li. Still at least she hasn't taken a role in a Hollywood movie that's a rehash of a lame 80's T.V. series yet unlike one of the actresses listed above.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:37 am

No, she hasn't, but she was in Rush Hour 2.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:50 am

Touch.........................
trevor826

Postby A » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 am

Am I reading critisicm of Miami Vice?
Seriously, I'd go and watch anything directed by Michael Mann (after my re-re-re-..viewing of Heat recently). As a director, this guy is a genius. The trailor looked pretty stylish, but had some good camera work. We will see.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:16 pm

I admire both Mann and Farrell quite a bit, so I'll definitely check out Miami Vice. I wasn't overly impressed by Collateral, but Mann's employment of Hi-Def DV was sublime.
arsaib4

Postby hengcs » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:16 am

Quote trevor, " Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................looks a little familiar and all too similar to a few other films doesn't it!Is this the only type of film we will see being distributed from China from now on? Still at least it doesn't look like some sort of reject John Carpenter b-movie as Seven Swords did.

What to do ... they are big budget films ... ha ha ... and they do appeal to mainstream audience and the teenagers better (compared to some artsy films like The World, Shanghai Dreams, etc) ...

Well, i will catch the film regardless, ha ha ha ... for me, every film deserves a chance ... anyway, most Chinese directors would like to film a "martial arts" films some time in their career (after all, many Chinese grew up "believing" in them ... i.e., kind of period drama/historically grounded at times) ...

so, we are all wondering if the director Feng Xiao Gang can direct/create a more compelling story ... hee hee

Quote arsaib4,"I think hengcs is anticipating it because of Ms. Ziyi Zhang."

I think she can act ... but I am not crazy over her ... ha ha ha

Quote trevor826, " The trailer reminded me of Hero, HoFD, CTHD and all the other costume epics. ..."

ha ha ha ... they all look alike, dont they? ... so it will be the story that makes the difference ... ha ha ha
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:44 am

I do hope you're right hengcs and it's probably unfair of me to make comparisons this early, I'll certainly give it a chance. For me it's not so much that it's a costume epic, maybe a better comparation would be the similarity between a lot of Western action films and how they've been influenced by "The Matrix". I think CTHD and especially Hero have had a major influence on how the action scenes are presented in this type of film plus the increased use of cgi doesn't help in giving a film that unique touch.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Next

Return to Film Talk